X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 18 December 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Warning as drier sparks house fire

A WARNING has been issued after the latest in a spate of tumble drier fires, this time at a Cleator Moor home.

The drier may have caused a kitchen blaze at Mill Hill last Wednesday evening. A male occupant suffered smoke inhalation, but wasn’t taken to hospital.

Two appliances from Whitehaven were called to the fire at Mill Hill at 8pm. It is believed the drier caught fire, spreading to a nearby boiler and cupboard.

The blaze was the latest in a “spate’’ of domestic fires believed to have caused by tumble driers.

Whitehaven watch manager Mark Smith, who attended the Mill Hill scene, said he had recently been called to several fires believed to have been started by driers.

“Tumble driers are a common cause of domestic fires which is why we advise people not to leave them running overnight or while they are out of the house,’’ he explained.

The appliances become hot very quickly, which can be exacerbated by clothing left on top of the machine.

“We advise tumble driers are regularly checked,’’ he said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Hot jobs
Search for:
Whitehavennews Newspaper