Millom teenager is banned from town
Published at 15:56, Wednesday, 26 March 2008
A MILLOM teenager has been given an interim ASBO, banning him from areas of the town.
Police have secured the Anti-Social Behaviour Order against Alan Johnston, 19, of Newtown Street, preventing him from entering Market Square, St George’s Road, Lapstone Road, Wellington Street, Nelson Street, Queen Street, Lord Street or Crown Street areas of Millom at any time, except between 9am and 10am each morning.
The teenager is also banned from entering any licensed premises in the Millom and District pubwatch scheme, or contacting either directly or indirectly, any witnesses in the “full” ASBO proceedings.
Any breach of a condition of the interim ASBO, made at Furness and District Magistrates Court, can result in the arrest of Johnston and a sentence of up to five years.
Officers from West Cumbria’s anti-social behaviour unit, Community Safety Department, and Millom Police officers have all worked together to secure this order against Johnston.
A police spokesperson said: “This is an excellent result for the residents of Millom, many of who have been subject to the anti-social and unacceptable behaviour of Johnston.
“This interim Anti-Social Behaviour Order has provided officers with another tool to deal with individuals who disrupt law abiding residents’ lives.
“Cumbria Constabulary’s focus on Neighbourhood Policing is aimed at building confident communities throughout the county. This achievement should be perceived as further re-assurance to members of the public that Cumbria Police are actively dealing with local issues.”
These conditions will remain in place pending a court hearing in mid-June, when a substantive ASBO hearing will take place, which could result in an anti-social behaviour order being imposed.
Anyone with any information relating to any incidents are urged to call Cumbria Police on 0845 33 00 247, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
INCIDENTS of anti-social behaviour in Millom dropped by over 20 percent throughout February.
Under-age drinking, criminal damage, anti-social behaviour and disorder were all issues which were targeted, the operations involved specialist police departments, Copeland and Millom officers, and community support officers.
Compared to the same period last year, April 2006 to February 2007, incidents of anti-social behaviour have reduced by 23.5per cent, with a massive 169 fewer incidents reported.
Acting Insp Wilkinson said: "This reduction in anti-social behaviour evidences the effectiveness of intelligence led patrols, and the positive impact on disorder that is achievable, when members of the public work with the Police, and report incidents and information.”
“We will continue to adopt the methods and tactics which have been used successfully throughout the operations, and we are currently working with partner agencies to further address the underlying causes of anti-social behaviour and related offences within Millom.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Blaze delays West Cumberland Hospital handover (2 comments)
- ‘People will die’ - Fury as coastguard HQ to move (10 comments)
- Stars of the show!
- Thousands of homes in nuclear evacuation zone (4 comments)
- Whitehaven’s heading back to the future (3 comments)
- New principal pledges to ‘maximise potential’
- Investors eye cinema site (11 comments)
- Plans lodged to demolish Cap'n Senny's
- Egremont homeless hostel given the go-ahead (13 comments)
- What's On Guide: January 22 to 28
- Cumbrian appointed NW Institute of Directors chairman
- Greggs branch closing (2 comments)
- New West Cumbrian bar and bistro will create 20 jobs (2 comments)
- £2.5m wave energy boost for West Cumbrian firm
- £1 million Japan nuclear plant boost for Cumbrian firm
- ‘Magnificent’ students earn surprise plaudits
- Firm celebrating success of trainee degree scheme
- Learn about how media giant moved to the north
- Strong show of ewes helped trading at mart exceed expectations
- Leading Cumbria export firm tells public story of its success
- PHOTOS: Iconic Barrow building toppled in explosion
- Ex Aquarium boss accused of taking £115,000 admits theft
- Unions call off NHS strike
- New Barrow library opens
- Three-car crash closes main road in Cumbrian town
- Italians set up authentic pizza stall in Carlisle market
- Robbery at Barrow off licence man arrested
- The Harry Redfern pub bucking the trend in Carlisle
- Lake District hidden gem to get £1.6m windfall
- Concern grows for missing Carlisle man