Jolan pitches into The Voice
Last updated at 12:51, Thursday, 13 February 2014
“KYLIE Minogue said I was good-looking, gave me a kiss and said ‘don’t give up’.”
By Mark White
That’s the abiding memory for Egremont singer, Jolan Gidney-Craigen, following his “amazing” experience of getting through to the live shows of The Voice UK.
But other highlights were numerous. The legendary Sir Tom Jones said of the 20-year-old: “He’s still got time.” Kylie told him: “You have a talent and the crowd reaction was crazy.” While The Kaiser Chiefs’ Ricky Wilson commented on his “good looks”.
The judges didn’t turn around for Jolan on Saturday night’s show, but the singer/songwriter says he enjoyed his journey.
He said: “To make it to the final 100 after the judges saw 40,000 people is absolutely amazing. I never thought I would get on the show.
“I was there for a full day in Manchester, talking to host Emma Willis before lots of rehearsals.
“I had to sing a capella first and then choose my song. They have a list and you have to have two songs prepared for the show.”
Jolan performed Beneath You’re Beautiful by Labrinth and Emeli Sandé, but says he didn’t even realise the judges hadn’t turned.
“When I walked out, the silence hit me and made me really nervous but, as soon as I started singing, the crowd were deafening.
“They tell you to look beyond the audience and pretend you’re singing to 40,000 people and that’s what I tried to do. It was such a brilliant feeling singing to all those people – when the judges didn’t turn I almost forgot that I was singing to get through.”
First published at 10:57, Thursday, 13 February 2014
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
Well done Jolan. Not winning The Voice is the catalyst you need to try other marketing options, and the next obvious one is YouTube. Get a few good tracks on there and impress us with your vocal qualities and musical abilities, but do it soon.
Make your comment
- Sarah’s Star Fund tops £8,000 in first year
- ‘Grow your own’ scheme to woo nursing recruits
- Developers shed light on solar park scheme (1 comment)
- Public meeting to air hospital concerns
- Bikers are on a mission to save NHS vital funds (1 comment)
- ‘We told you so!’ Firefighters’ crisis warning ‘proved right’ (6 comments)
- Family tell of devastation over mam’s hospital death
- Are councillors measuring up? (4 comments)
- Enjoy poet Kei’s ‘beautiful’ work
- Sellafield expert joins Fukushima team