Jobs axed as clothes shop closes
Published at 11:08, Thursday, 19 April 2012
A WHITEHAVEN shop has closed suddenly with the loss of five jobs.
Ellie Louise, which has been in the town’s King Street for 11 years, shut on Thursday, April 5.
Staff were shocked to hear the Leeds-based fashion retailer had gone into administration the previous Monday. This was followed by representatives arriving at the shop on the Thursday saying they had to close immediately.
Christine Minnorry, who managed the King Street shop, and the four part-time staff have all lost their jobs.
Ellie Louise had 97 shops in total and 439 employees. It is understood that challenging trading conditions led to increased financial pressure on the retailer.
A spokesperson for the administrators, Zolfo Cooper, said around 28 of the shops had closed and that a buyer was being sought.
Christine said it had been a shock for all the staff when it closed so suddenly and she thanked all the customers for their support over the years.
“I hope that I will see them again soon in the not too distant future,” said Christine, vice chairman of the town’s Chamber of Trade.
“It’s sad that another shop in Whitehaven has gone, that’s the last thing we needed. We really need to get Whitehaven behind us because if they don’t use us they will lose us.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Supermarket beggar jailed
- Sounding a little tinny!
- Drunk burglar caught after leaving sock at the scene
- MP Reed - ‘This can not be a PR exercise’
- ‘We must get end of life care right’
- Adrian's aiming for the charts
- Meet our new top doc
- Cumbria appoints three new consultants (3 comments)
- Facebook group joins bid to re-opem Civic Hall
- ‘Move market’ urge town centre traders (4 comments)
- West Cumbrian distance learning firm opens Middle East office
- Year of success for Cumbria university's business interaction centre
- Gold medal for Brampton apprentice at national auto competition
- New hotel team is ready to push the business forward
- Scotland move for motorway services empire
- What is a grant of probate?
- Look ahead
- Herd instinct grips crowded ringside
- Andrew brings his skills and flair to the table
- Foreign growth secret to playground firm’s success
- Council dismisses call-in bid for £11m leisure centre project
- Cumbrian girl, 5, 'amazing' after life-changing surgery
- 999 crews sent to Carlisle crash
- Carlisle builder accused of breaching restraining order
- Planning chief turns against Barrow housing plans
- 'High risk' missing Cumbrian teenager found safe and well
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (19 comments)
- Police traffic warning ahead of Ulverston Dickensian Festival
- Salon robber jailed for more than seven years by Carlisle court
- Pub chain’s dream of 52-bed Barrow hotel unveiled