Jobs axed as clothes shop closes
Published at 11:08, Thursday, 19 April 2012
A WHITEHAVEN shop has closed suddenly with the loss of five jobs.
Ellie Louise, which has been in the town’s King Street for 11 years, shut on Thursday, April 5.
Staff were shocked to hear the Leeds-based fashion retailer had gone into administration the previous Monday. This was followed by representatives arriving at the shop on the Thursday saying they had to close immediately.
Christine Minnorry, who managed the King Street shop, and the four part-time staff have all lost their jobs.
Ellie Louise had 97 shops in total and 439 employees. It is understood that challenging trading conditions led to increased financial pressure on the retailer.
A spokesperson for the administrators, Zolfo Cooper, said around 28 of the shops had closed and that a buyer was being sought.
Christine said it had been a shock for all the staff when it closed so suddenly and she thanked all the customers for their support over the years.
“I hope that I will see them again soon in the not too distant future,” said Christine, vice chairman of the town’s Chamber of Trade.
“It’s sad that another shop in Whitehaven has gone, that’s the last thing we needed. We really need to get Whitehaven behind us because if they don’t use us they will lose us.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Biggest Liar 2014
- Alan Wills top scores at Northern Championship
- Awards evening marks 40 years of martial arts
- Kart star Jonny is Vegas bound
- Haven coach hails Stephen Fox’s return
- Mum knows value of local services
- GPs ‘deeply concerned’ by hospital
- MP criticises selection of staff chosen for review team (1 comment)
- Rejected - plans for 79 Cleator homes denied (6 comments)
- Fight goes on despite office block refusal
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (39 comments)
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (29 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (22 comments)
- Copeland council backs Civic Hall and new public loos plans (7 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (6 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (88 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)