Arsonists torch fairground ride and caravan
Published at 01:00, Thursday, 22 April 2004
A FAIRGROUND fire that left a scene of devastation on Cleator Moor Square is being investigated as arson.
The blaze, early last Thursday morning, gutted the waltzer ride and a nearby caravan and lorries.
Fire crews were called to the scene of the fire at 2.30am and battled for almost two hours to put out the blaze.
Two men, one thought to be the owner of the fairground ride, had a lucky escape from the caravan.
They were sleeping in it when the fire started and were fortunate to notice the blaze immediately. They escaped unharmed.
The ride was due to move to another site at the weekend, before the arsonists struck.
Cumbria police are investigating the incident as arson and inquiries are ongoing.
A spokesman said: “It was reported to us as arson with an intent to endanger life. The scene was devastated.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Alan Wills top scores at Northern Championship
- Awards evening marks 40 years of martial arts
- Kart star Jonny is Vegas bound
- Haven coach hails Stephen Fox’s return
- Mum knows value of local services
- GPs ‘deeply concerned’ by hospital
- MP criticises selection of staff chosen for review team (1 comment)
- Rejected - plans for 79 Cleator homes denied (3 comments)
- Fight goes on despite office block refusal
- Hotel charges Whitehaven couple £100 for bad review (1 comment)