Egremont made the short journey to Millom on Saturday with the simple aim of ending their recent poor run of form in the Cumbria League.

They travelled with a strong looking team and confidence was high, but Millom had other ideas and made by far the livelier start.

The home forwards took the game by the scruff of the neck and starved Egremont of any possession with a series of forward drives which forced the visitors onto the back foot.

It was no surprise therefore when Millom took the lead with the opening try of the game from, inevitably, a series of pick-and-go attacks close to the ruck.

To their credit, Egremont resp-onded by adopting a much more open pattern to their play which was rewarded with a try under the posts from number eight Jimmy Temple, converted by Josh Graves, to earn them a narrow 7-5 lead.

Unfortunately, the bitter cold and keen wind then dominated the match for the middle two quarters, with both sides guilty of poor handling and an inability to keep hold of the ball for any length of time.

This meant that the stop-start nature of the match was not pretty on the eye for the small but vociferous crowd.

However, Egremont did manage the try of the game when another Millom handling error gave the visitors the ball deep in their own 22. A series of excellent runs and timed passes by the Egremont backs put right wing Callum Aitken clear for a classy 50-metre try, which was the undoubted highlight of the game for the Egremont contingent.

Graves again converted for a 14-5 lead and, despite Millom responding with a further unconverted score of their own, Egremont saw out the game to put their losing spell to an end with a 14-10 win.

Egremont head coach Marc Long said: “Winning ugly is still a win, and I am delighted that we managed to get our season back on track.”

Egremont firsts have no match this weekend but the seconds, who were disappointed to miss out on Saturday when Carlisle III pulled out at the last minute, are in action at Cockermouth, 2.15pm kick-off.

Whitehaven shook off a two-week break to defeat Carlisle Seconds 50-5. Whitehaven began well with two early tries by centre Jay Rossi and full back Jordan Thomson.

Soon after Rossi scored his second try followed by another scored by second row Phil Southam after a good driving maul.

Winger Harrison Riley added the next try after a mazy run from 40 metres out, three of the tries were converted by centre Steven McConnell to give a half time score of 31-0.

Carlisle responded well in the second half dominating the first 20 minutes and scored a try on the blind side of a ruck.

Whitehaven eventually got their act together and, after some strong forays by forwards Todd Bennett and captain Callum Jennings, the ball was moved out wide for Jay Rossi to score his third.

Rossi then scored his fourth and best try of the game starting in his own half 60 metres out and scoring underneath the posts.

After more pressure from a scrum the ball was moved left to fly half Liam Campbell who dummied and streaked in from 20 metres out.

Two tries were converted by McConnell and one by Rossi to make the final score 50-5.

Prop Todd Bennett was man-of-the-match for his many blockbusting runs closely followed by Jay Rossi for his four-try display.

The other game saw Windermere beat St Benedict’s Ravens 44-7.

In North One West St Benedict’s game at home to title-chasing Birkenhead Park was postponed because of the state of the pitch.