Whitehaven snatched back the Ike Southward Memorial Trophy with a try in the dying minutes.

As the clock wore down it looked as thought Town had the upper hand but Haven came back with two late tries to seal the win at 24-18.

Town had an early chance when Dave Thompson knocked on looking to take a high kick on the last from Jamie Doran, giving Workington a scrum 15 metres out.

Then Town were handed a penalty for a ball-stripping incident and they put the pressure on the Haven line, with Conor Fitzsimmons going close but the home side held out.

A good kick from Brett Carter saw Town forced to run the ball dead and then it was Haven on the attack.

And their pressure eventually told as James Newton scampered over from dummy-half out wide, Jake Moore adding the extras for 6-0.

But Workington struck back quickly to level matters as a good passing move saw newcomer Alex Young get his first try in the Town colours, with Carl Forber converting for 6-6.

The visitors went close again on the next set of six with Hanley Dawson just short of the line on the final play and Haven got the ball back on their own try line.

Workington thought they had gone in front after a quarter of the game had gone with Jamie Doran touching down but it was disallowed for offside.

And in the following set Town gave in to a series of penalties that marched Haven down the field.

They looked to edge ahead but again ref Gareth Hewer disallowed the try for Callum Phillips, for a forward pass as he was going over the line.

Haven suffered a blow as Glenn Riley limped from the field, something coach Gary Charlton will not have wanted to see in just their second pre-season friendly.

But they made their way towards the Town tryline and they were working the ball well until they just tried to force the ball and the pass to Jason Mossop went astray.

The game was halted again as this time Brett Carter left the field, holding his leg, in a series of problems for Haven.

A lovely ball from Dion Aiye released Sam Forrester on a great break making real inroads into the Town half but a scrambling defence just held the torrent back.

There was a lot of pressure coming from Haven as they looked to get the edge before half time but Jason Mossop was just halted inches short.

And at the break there is all to play for at 6-6.

Town looked sprightly in the opening moments of the second half but Haven quickly struck back and were encamped on the Town line.

And Town were then dealt a big blow as Caine Barnes had to helped off the field holding his leg gingerly.

The game restarted and Dion Aiye barged his way over with Moore converting after a break for an injury to Town's Stevie Scholey.

Moore went close moments later as Haven looked to try and extend their lead but he was halted short of the line on the last tackle and Town heaved a sigh of relief.

Then, on 54 minutes Town struck back to level once more. Some good passing saw Doran slip the final pass to Gordon Maudling and he dived over the line, Forber converted and it was 12-12.

Town were looking dangerous and a long kick from Doran saw a good chase from Elliot Hall showing his pace before Haven cleared up.

Momentum then swapped back to Haven as Aiye broke and Haven were moving the ball well until the final pass went awry, halting the flow.

One of the best moves of the game then put the visitors ahead as good thinking from Doran put the kick through and it was Forber who made the final yards through the Haven defence to score under the posts.

Forber had left himself an easy conversion and Town had the advantage for the first time at 18-12.

Elliot Hall made a superb break for Town only being hauled down 10 metres short then as Town looked to play the ball Moore was sent to the bin for a professional foul.

Town tried to make use of their extra man and they went close with Russ Bolton being held up over the line and it was now the visitors looking much more dangerous.

Whitehaven were not resting on their laurels though and as they came up towards the Town try line they flung it out wide to the right where Dave Thompson strolled over.

With Moore still off the field, Karl Dixon stepped up to take over the kicking duties and he duly obliged to level at 18-18.

Scholey then made it tough going for Town as he wrapped up Aiye after he kicked on the last and Haven were handed an opportunity but they flung out a forward pass.

But there was a final fling as Callum Phillips dived under the posts with just over a minute remaining to the screams of Haven fans.

Moore took his time with the kick but it sailed between the uprights and that sealed the victory for Haven.