Whitehaven and Workington Town end the first half of the Ike Southward Memorial Trophy all square.

The score is 6-6 with a converted try apiece as both sides have had chances in a scrappy game to take the lead but have been snuffed out.

Town had an early chance when Dave Thompson knocked on looking to take a high kick on the last from Jamie Doran, giving Workington a scrum 15 metres out.

Then Town were handed a penalty for a ball-stripping incident and they put the pressure on the Haven line, with Conor Fitzsimmons going close but the home side held out.

A good kick from Brett Carter saw Town forced to run the ball dead and then it was Haven on the attack.

And their pressure eventually told as James Newton scampered over from dummy-half out wide, Jake Moore adding the extras for 6-0.

But Workington struck back quickly to level matters as a good passing move saw newcomer Alex Young get his first try in the Town colours, with Carl Forber converting for 6-6.

The visitors went close again on the next set of six with Hanley Dawson just short of the line on the final play and Haven got the ball back on their own try line.

Workington thought they had gone in front after a quarter of the game had gone with Jamie Doran touching down but it was disallowed for offside.

And in the following set Town gave in to a series of penalties that marched Haven down the field.

They looked to edge ahead but again ref Gareth Hewer disallowed the try for Callum Phillips, for a forward pass as he was going over the line.

Haven suffered a blow as Glenn Riley limped from the field, something coach Gary Charlton will not have wanted to see in just their second pre-season friendly.

But they made their way towards the Town tryline and they were working the ball well until they just tried to force the ball and the pass to Jason Mossop went astray.

The game was halted again as this time Brett Carter left the field, holding his leg, in a series of problems for Haven.

A lovely ball from Dion Aiye released Sam Forrester on a great break making real inroads into the Town half but a scrambling defence just held the torrent back.

There was a lot of pressure coming from Haven as they looked to get the edge before half time but Jason Mossop was just halted inches short.

And at the break there is all to play for at 6-6.