In the end Workington Reds had to settle for a draw with visitors Trafford after a scrappy match which saw the visitors reduced to 10 men.

Reds were 1-0 down at the break but drama in the second half saw the visiting keeper red carded for handling outside the area and Reds equalised through Conor Tinnion.

Trafford came back despite being a man down to take the lead for a second time but an equaliser from Scott Allison ensured Reds got a point from the game.

There were late chances for Reds but they could not break through to get the last word.

Ceiran Casson put in a man of the match performance for Reds who remain on top of the league – albeit narrowly.

It has been a bit of a scrappy game and Reds suffered an early blow when Dav Symington had to leave the field after just about 20 seconds had gone with a back problem so Brad Carroll made an early start to the game, replacing him.

Nathan Waterston had a couple of quick opportunities but skyed both efforts to put his team ahead against visitors Trafford.

And inside the first 10 minutes they probably should have gone 1-0 up. Some great teamwork set the ball up nicely for Brad Hubbold to finish it off but he shot agonisingly wide of the target.

Scott Allison had a close range effort blocked going out for a corner and Reds were looking like they had the edge.

But still they couldn't find that elusive goal and their opponents were coming more into the game.

Lewis Walters missed a golden opportunity for Trafford with only keeper Jim Atkinson to beat but, much to the Reds's faithful's delight he shot wide.

Then, on the break, Allison got the ball in the area, turned and let loose with a shot but it took a deflection off the defence.

But it only went to the feet of Waterston but his shot was well saved by the keeper Matthew Cooper.

Matty Clarke showed some great defence when blocked a whipped in cross that looked to go out for a corner but the linesman also had his flag up for offside against a Trafford player and Reds got the ball back.

As the half wore on a long ball found Waterston out on the right and he managed to whip it back but Carroll's final touch was poor and it went out of play without troubling the keeper.

Then inside the 41st minute the Trafford threat truly emerged. An early ball in for Walters saw him beat the Reds defence to get the final touch and slot it past Atkinson to give the visitors the lead.

Waterston tried to get his team back into the game when he put a cross in in the dying minutes of the half but nobody could get on the end and it was Trafford who went in at the break with the advantage.

Walters gave Reds a shot across the bow in the opening seconds of the second half as he bore down on goal, his shot just clearing the bar.

A great challenge from Jordan Little saved Reds from more danger as a ball came into the box looking for Walters again and Reds were under some pressure.

Then came what could be a game changer as the Trafford keeper Cooper was shown a red card for handling the ball outside of the area.

The visitors made an immediate change to bring on Jonathan McIlwaine but his first job on the field was to pick the ball back out of the net.

Tinnion stood over the resulting free kick and launched it past the new keeper and into the net to draw Reds level.

A resurgent Reds then had another great chance as another shot from Tinnion was just deflected out for a corner but Little's header went over the bar.

Ceiran Casson battled his way through several defenders to poke the ball through for Allison but his effort lacked pace and the keeper dealt with it easily.

But, against the run of play, and with just 10 men, it was Trafford who went back in front thanks to Samuel Baird.

His low driving shot went past Atkinson into the far corner to put his side ahead, against all the odds.

But, on 73 minutes, the game was level once more as Allison poked home past the keeper after a great ball in from Casson.

Allison nearly made got his second of the afternoon just moments later but his header just shaved the wrong side of the post as Reds looked to find the killer blow.

Another goalmouth scramble saw some last ditch defending from Trafford but then they gave their hosts another shake as they broke at pace, to remind Reds they were still firmly in the game.

Carroll blazed a chance right over the bar with seven minutes remaining as Reds began to pepper their opponents but with no luck to finish off.

There was drama inside the final minute as Reds thought they had a penalty but after a consultation with his linesman the referee decided a foul was just outside the area, handing the home side a free kick.

Tinnion lofted it in but after a quick game of pinball Trafford finally cleared and despite their best efforts in the remaining time, it finished all square at 2-2.