A dominant performance from Workington Reds ensured they got the new league season off to a flying start.

Despite the scoreline against Pickering Town being level at 1-1 at the break, Reds upped a gear in the second half to run out 4-1 victors at Borough Park.

Especially in the second half there was no question as to who would take the points as manager Danny Grainger got off to the perfect start.

Dav Symington was impressive for his two goals, with Brad Hubbold and youngster Ceiran Casson also scoring, the latter on his 18th birthday.

Reds had a good start to the clash with some forays into their opponents' half in the first few minutes, Dav Symington causing some problems.

But there was some early danger on the counter from Pickering as they had three players bearing down on new keeper Jim Atkinson but he proved up to the task as he blocked the effort from Leon Dawson.

Reds were soon back on the attack and Scott Allison's effort was just parried by Harrison Foulkes at the near post.

Great work by Conor Tinnion got him into a dangerous position but as he took aim the shot was well blocked by defender George Bissett who did well to close him down.

And the shots kept coming as Symington showed his pace again but decided to have a go himself rather than crossing but it was off target.

Pickering got a free kick just outside the area and Matthew Savage put it in but it took a deflection and went out for a corner that caused some problems.

The ball fell into the path of Ged Dalton but his effort went across the face of the goal and nobody was there to meet it and Reds were able to clear.

Another Symington cross was met by the head of Tinnion this time but his effort sailed just over the crossbar.

Liam Brockbank unleashed a powerful shot after some good build-up work by Reds but again Foulkes was there to thwart him with another good save.

Everything changed on the half hour mark when Symington struck a superb shot that rocketed over the keeper and thundered into the back of the net.

But the lead lasted only seconds as on Pickering's next attack Dan Davison turned the defence and got a shot away to level the scores at 1-1.

Ceiran Casson found some space in the middle of the park and looked to mark his 18th birthday with a strike of his own but despite lacking some power it nearly found its way into the path of Scott Allison before Pickering desperately cleared.

Symington got the second half off to another exciting start as Foulkes just got a hand to his powerful shot to halt its progress.

But inside the 50th minutes Reds were back in front when Brad Hubbold beat the keeper with his low shot that just bounced in off the post to roll into the back of the net.

Pickering tried to hit Reds on the counter but an overhead clearance from Wordsworth ensured Reds were quickly back on the attack.

Symington had another effort blocked and the Pickering defence were being kept busy with the wind finally in Reds' favour this half.

Another good effort from Symington was parried by the keeper, it came back to Brad Carroll but under pressure by Foulkes it went over the bar.

Scott Allison had a go to try and get his name on the scoresheet but the busy keeper again dealt with it, then Wordsworth's overhead effort went right into his arms as Reds were not prepared to sit on a slender one goal lead.

Allison was then pulled down just outside of the area and Symington lined up the free kick and it slammed it into the net to make it 3-1.

Symington looked to go for his hat-trick as he looked to curl one past the keeper but again he parried it away to deny the Reds star for now.

A bit of a rash challenge from Casson earned the youngster a yellow card as Reds brought on Ash Kelly for his debut, replacing Tinnion.

Brockbank put a great cross in the sailed past the goalmouth but nobody could get onto the end of it to score the goal that would have probably wrapped up the game for sure.

That goal did come though as Waterston closed down the keeper to win the ball back, his cross back into the area caused a melee but it was Casson who was there to poke the ball home and celebrate his birthday in style.

Pickering came close to getting one back as Atkinson had to make an acrobatic save to stop a shot from Ged Dalton but the resulting corner was dealt with and Symington brought the ball away.

Foulkes had to make another good save as Waterston was bearing down on the ball when he just managed to gather it to him and avert the chance.

Charlie Bowman came on with six minutes to go, replacing man of the match Symington as Reds continued to try and extend their lead further.

In the end they couldn't go any further but 4-1 was an impressive start and they will go again on Tuesday at Trafford.