Workington Reds were left to rue another game where they finished pointless but held their opponents for much of the game.

Hyde United finished 2-1 victors at Borough Park with all of the goals coming in the first half but Reds will feel hard done by when for large parts of the game they dominated but just couldn't get the ball in the back of the net.

The weather was always going to have a big say in the game as Storm Freya began to hit with a powerful wind whipping across Borough Park, along with driving rain.

And both sides found out quickly how fast the wind could take the ball away from them as they battled to assert dominance.

Reds had a great chance when a good ball from Jason Walker found Jordan Holt out in space on the right and he got the pass in across the face of the goal but Brad Carroll just couldn't get onto the end of it.

Gari Rowntree then stepped up to clear a chance at the other end as Nicky Platt played the ball in the Paddy Lane whose shot was chested down and cleared by the Reds skipper.

And the talented Lane had another go minutes later as he turned the defence and got a shot in that just went the wrong side of Aaran Taylor's goalpost.

Platt then forced a great save from Taylor as he looked to break the deadlock forcing the Reds keeper to acrobatically tip the ball over the bar.

Taylor could then only watch as he come out to try and block Tom Pratt but the Hyde player managed to nudge it past the keeper but also, thankfully for the home side, past the post.

With attacks from both sides being thwarted more by the wind than their opposing numbers, Niall Cowperthwaite tried a powerful shot from distance but it was deflected and keeper Peter Crook collected.

John McCombe was shown the yellow card by referee Richard Holmes after pulling back Garry Thompson and Reds were handed the free kick which proved crucial for the home side.

Cowperthwaite put in a great free kick and Josh Calvert met the ball with a superb diving header that went like a rocket into the back of the goal to put Workington 1-0 ahead.

And they could have had a second moments later as Cowperthwaite put in another free kick that saw at least three efforts blocked in a real goalmouth scramble.

Hyde looked to get back on level terms and it took a great block from Brotherston to halt a shot by Dominic Smalley at the expense of a corner.

And for the second time this season Reds were hit by a cruel blow as Lane's corner curled into the box assisted by the wind and right into the home goal to draw level at 1-1 with five minutes of the half remaining.

Jordan Holt was handed a good chance in the area when Thompson put in a cross which me met near the post but after his first shot was blocked by the keeper his second agonisingly slid across the face of the goal and out for a goal kick.

Then, into extra time, Tom Pratt was brought down in the penalty area as he tried to get past Aaran Taylor and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Nicky Platt stepped up and thumped the ball home to give the visitors a one-goal lead at the break.

The second half opened with the wind still causing problems but this time it was at the back of the home side, who had the first shot on goal with the keeper holding on to a shot from Holt.

A ball was then lofted into the box and chested down by Walker who found Thompson but his shot was blocked to go out for a corner which was cleared by the visitors.

As both teams struggled to retain possession a nice ball from Walker found Brotherston but the keeper was quickly out to narrow his angle and block the shot.

A Rowntree corner was put over the bar by the head of Matty Douglas as Reds tried to use the conditions to their advantage to get back into the game.

Good work by sub Dave Symington down the right hand side allowed him to get a cross in looking for the onrushing Thompson but he just couldn't get a foot to it before it went out of play.

It was Symington again who got the ball into Cowperthwaite seconds later and his shot had to be tipped over the bar by the keeper.

Conor Tinnion came to join the fray with 20 minutes remaining, as Reds searched for the elusive equaliser to put them back on level pegging.

The game was turning into a mud bath as the rain continued without let-up and it was getting increasingly difficult to play any free flowing football.

Symington had the Reds fans on their feet as his curling shot looked to be heading goalward but just went agonisingly wide and then Hyde broke at the opposite end and it took a good block from sub Cam Harker to halt the run of Chib Chilaka.

Reds looked to play the ball at pace and got it into the area where Rowntree's shot was blocked and went out for a corner but again it was dealt with and Reds could not find the elusive goal they were searching for.

Tinnion danced his way through the mud to get past several players but the final shot went astray and in a scramble there were calls for a handball against Hyde but the ref was having none of it.

And into extra time another shot from Tinnion went into the arms of the Hyde keeper as it looked once again as it would just not be Reds day, despite their best efforts.

Reds nearly finished with a flourish as two shots were blocked on the line to break home hearts, first Calvert nearly got his second with a stormer of a shot which was body blocked by a defender on the line and a second effort was also cleared as the ref blew his whistle to end the game.