Workington Town made it two victories from two games in this season's League 1 but they did not have it all their own way against visitors North Wales Crusaders.

It took a much improved second half performance from Workington to take the points 48-18 after only holding a slender 10-point advantage at the break.

It looked good at the start as Workington set off with a bang, getting two opening tries but then they let their visitors back into the game and had to fight their way back.

The game was only three minutes old when Town got their first points on the board, powering through their opponents' defence with Gordon Maudling crashing over the line.

Forber added the extras and just three minutes later he was tagging on another conversion as Oliver Wilkes got on the end of a pass from Sean Penkywicz to fly over the line to double the scoring.

North Wales began to get into the game and they were causing some problems for the home side as they passed the ball about well.

And they got their reward when Rob Massam touched down after a period of continued pressure with the Town defence unable to hold them, Kenneth Baker converting for 12-6.

Shortly after they levelled matters as poor Town defence allowed Warren Thompson to break through the centre and he was well supported by full-back Daniel Price who raced over the line, with Baker again tagging on the extras.

It was now the visitors with the upper hand and they were causing a multitude of problems for a Town side that was looking off the boil.

And when Town were penalised for a ball steal near the posts the call came off the bench to go for the two points and Baker kept his cool to slot the ball between the uprights to give Crusaders the lead for the first time.

This seemed to finally wake the home side up and after a good charge by Danny Tickle who was halted just short, the ball came out to Perry Singleton and he spotted the gap and darted in, with Forber again on target to take the lead back at 18-14.

Then Jamie Doran decided to go on his own and he darted over the line just ahead of the hooter, leaving Forber an easy conversion by the posts to make it 24-14 at the break.

Into the second half and Workington were looking more dangerous as they looked to put their stamp on the game and Singleton made a superb break down field but was halted just short.

Then, on 49 minutes, Caine Barnes showed his power as he barged over the line to edge Town further ahead, with Forber adding the two points.

And Crusaders were then down to 12 men as Karl Ashall was sent to cool his heels in the sin bin for dissent.

But Workington failed to take any real advantage of their extra man as, instead, it was North Wales who crossed the line. Kenny Baker offloaded to Ben Stead who, in turn released Joe Connor and he crossed but the conversion went astray.

However as the clock began to tick down, Town began to get back on top.

It took a nice dart from Sean Penkywicz to pull Town clear as he went over the line from close range and then minutes later Danny Tickle was also over for a try, with Forber converting both to take the totla out to 42-18.

Penkywicz broke through again with a superb run but the final pass out wide was too low and a try went begging as the ball went into touch.

The final word went to the home side as they worked the ball out well to the right hand side where Tyllar Mellor cut in to score, with Forber adding his eighth goal of the afternoon.

The hooter then sounded seconds later and Workington had got their second win of the season 48-18.