Whitehaven scored ten tries as they had a comfortable 66-7 home win over Hawcoat Park in the second of their Cumbria 1B group matches.

Among the scorers were Callum Swindale, who lunged over for the third, Luke Thompson who added the fifth, Phil Southam who charged in for a brace to take the total to nine, and Todd Woods who capped the victory with the final try.

Fallen giants Wigton and Aspatria produced an epic contest in the Cumbria League, every bit as good as when they both ruled the roost.

Wigton showed great spirit, determination and no little skill to haul down the colours of their arch rivals to win 27-26 at Lowmoor Road.

In fairness, the first half was nothing to write home about as both sides struggled for continuity and Aspatria turned round 5-3 to the good.

Wigton showed greater composure and skill setting up try-scoring chances.

They took the lead with a try from Lewis Plackett who had an inspired second half, headlined by a hat-trick of tries.

Aspatria were not long in hitting back with a try coming from some good footwork of their own.

It was not long before that lead was extended when Gary Hodgson was able to make appreciable ground from the base of a scrum.

A penalty gave Wigton a lineout in Aspatria’s 22 and the Greens executed a powerful catch and drive which made good ground, only being halted by illegal means.

The referee played advantage and Dan Reed punted the ball wide behind the defence for Plackett to claim his second try.

Then James Wilson made a powerful drive and then the ball was whipped along the line to Plackett, with space in front of him.

He opted to chip ahead and the ball landed between himself and full-back Andrew Miller but crucially bounced up away from the Aspatria defender into Plackett’s arms and he ran clear for his third try of the half. Leeson’s conversion gave Wigton a 22-19 lead.

With time running out Aspatria capitalised on a speculative offload to score a converted try under the sticks and probably thought they had got out of jail but indiscretions gave the ball to Wigton who crashed over near the posts from a late line-out.

Just to add to the tension Reed missed the conversion but it didn’t matter as Wigton held a one-point lead.

Leaders Keswick won 24-7 at Cockermouth and now lead Aspatria by 15 points.

In the first half a pattern emerged of Keswick making progress upfield only to be pegged back by Cockermouth using the wind by kicking.

The second half reversed tactics as Keswick used the wind to pin Cockermouth in their own half where they put pressure on the home side line-out.

Upper Eden v St Benedict’s was postponed.