Wath Brow Hornets had a potential banana skin in the Coral Challenge Cup after a long trek to the capital but they came home on the back of a 34-6 win at London Chargers.

And that earned them a place in Monday’s night draw for the second round where they came out of the hat with a home draw as their reward.

The Brow will now face another National Conference League team in the next round as they welcome York Acorn, who were comfortable 42-4 home winners against Beverley.

But going back to Saturday and the clash in the capital, it was a determined effort by the Chargers, the best amateur side in London, who were just about still in it at half-time trailing 22-6.

They restricted Wath Brow to two converted tries in the second-half but there was never any serious concerns for the Cumbrians.

Curtis Teare led the way for the Hornets with a hat-trick of tries and he was followed over by Adam Ramsden (2), Ellison Holgate and Luke Davidson. Cole Walker-Taylor kicked three goals.

The second round ties will be played on the weekend of February 9-10, with one to be selected for live coverage by BBC Sport, and another by Our League, the RFL’s membership web and app.

Millom, the Cumbrian club who beat Red Star Belgrade in the first-round tie selected for live streaming by the BBC, have another home tie, against Siddal of Halifax.

Unfortunately Kells could not join them in the second round draw as they went down 14-4 in a tight game at home to Rochdale Mayfield.

The visitors had led 8-4 at half-time and it stayed that way until the last minute when the visitors scored a converted try to clinch their place in round two.

Adie Hartley’s try was converted by Zac Hartley in the first-half after Zac’s penalty had given Mayfield a 19th minute lead.

Kells got back in it right on half-time when Martin O’Neill went in for an unconverted try to set up a hard-fought, fairly even second-half.

Right at the death Cole Connelly crossed for Mayfield and Hartley’s conversion was one of the last acts of the game.