Cleator Moor Celtic earned their first win of 2019 when they beat St Helens Town 2-1 at JBV Park.

The visitors had the first chance when Liam Diggle headed the ball down for Neil Weaver who shot high over the bar when he should have scored.

It proved costly for on eight minutes Stuart Shaw was played in and he raced at pace into the box before finishing quite superbly past Carl Williams to give Celtic the lead.

The visitors were level on fifteen minutes when Celtic defenders stood off and allowed Liam Diggle to run through and slot the ball home past a stranded Craig Rule.

On 35 minutes Weaver was shown a red card by impressive referee Lucy Briggs as he lashed out at Craig Corkhill. Although he felt hard done by it was the correct decision.

Thomas Ward went closest to regaining the lead for Celtic when he rattled the bar from a free kick and the sides went in at half-time all square.

The second half was a little scrappy as ten-man Saints set out their stall to try and slow things down and hold on to what they had. Although every now and then they would up the pace and cause problems for the hosts.

Jessie Robinson and their man of the match Diggle had chances but whenever Rule was needed he did his job.

For Celtic Rooney and Shaw both shot wide while a superb cross from Darren Little went begging as no one was quick enough to get on the end of it.

Then a great run from Brad Tatton played in Ward and he tried in vain to chip Williams but the keeper was equal to it.

There were six minutes left when Celtic grabbed the winner.

A home corner was played short to man of the match Ward who turned past the advancing defender, ran into the box and thumped the ball past Williams.

Celtic travel to Daisy Hill in Bolton on Saturday; AFC Liverpool visit the JBV Park next Tuesday (Jan 15) and on the 19th they travel to Garstang.

The Cleator Moor club, who are the holders, are awaiting confirmation from Carlisle United on a date for their County Cup clash after offering three dates.