A superb defensive effort from Kells has kept visitors Toronto Wolfpack on their toes in this fourth round Ladbrokes Challenge Cup clash.

Kells could be proud of their grit and determination against a Wolfpack side packed with quality.

But, not only have they crossed the line themselves, they have also denied the Championship side from crossing on several occasions.

Kells knew they were in a game from the off as the strong-running Wolfpack tore at their defence with Andy Ackers held up over the line.

And then they showed their pace as the ball came out to the right hand side where Blake Wallace raced over out wide, Ryan Brierley slotting over the touchline conversion.

But Kells showed their spirit and looked to hit right back and were rewarded with two sets of six to attack their visitors.

A good kick from scrum-half Ross Gainford loitered carefully by the back line and Kay had to run it pout of play and forced a drop out.

It looked as though Kells' chance had gone when a kick through was scooped up by the Toronto defence but then came their big opportunity.

The ball was spilled near the visiting line and Kells' Lewis Smith was quickest to react and he nipped over to touch down and stun the Championship outfit.

Gainford stepped up and slotted over the two-pointer and the game was all level once more.

Toronto came back once more but Kells held out with some superb defence as the Wolfpack encamped on their try line.

But eventually something had to give and a cut out pass to winger Kay allowed him to dive over out wide, with Brierley again on target with the extras.

The Wolfpack seized on the upturn in their fortunes and Kay showed his speed as he picked up his heels down the wing. The Kells defence closed in but he had Nick Rawsthorne in support and the centre touched down by the posts leaving Brierley an easy two-pointer.

Toronto looked to break again with Rawsthorne again in the clear but Kells struck back with a slight ankle tap and then David Lowery was in to make sure.

Kells were fighting to get a foothold back in the game as Tyrone Dalton went on a neat run, halted just short of his target.

Then the ball came back to Tony Burns and he put in a nice little grubber kick that the Toronto defence fumbled and Kells got another chance.

But as soon as the Wolfpack were back in possession they caught Kells out on the hop with another great break out of defence that this time was finished by Kay, and converted by Brierley for 6-24.

Sam Hopkins thought he was over the line for Toronto but on his way over he knocked over the referee who then disallowed the try for a knock-on in a double blow for the sub.

And Jack Bussey also lost the ball with the try line ahead of him, thanks to some tough tackling from a Kells side who were not about to give in.

The hooter sounded with Toronto ahead 24-6 but with Kells having plenty to shout about.