Kells could hold their heads high after a superb showing against Championship high flyers Toronto Wolfpack that ended 6-56.

There might have been 50 points between the two sides at the final whistle but Kells put in a superb defensive effort to keep their visitors on their toes in this fourth round Ladbrokes Challenge Cup clash.

Kells could be proud of their grit and determination against a Wolfpack side packed with quality.

But, not only have they crossed the line themselves, they have also denied the Championship side from crossing on several occasions.

The entire pack took the side forward repeatedly and led from the front with some great performances all round.

Kells knew they were in a game from the off as the strong-running Wolfpack tore at their defence with Andy Ackers held up over the line.

And then they showed their pace as the ball came out to the right hand side where Blake Wallace raced over out wide, Ryan Brierley slotting over the touchline conversion.

But Kells showed their spirit and looked to hit right back and were rewarded with two sets of six to attack their visitors.

A good kick from scrum-half Ross Gainford loitered carefully by the back line and Kay had to run it pout of play and forced a drop out.

It looked as though Kells' chance had gone when a kick through was scooped up by the Toronto defence but then came their big opportunity.

The ball was spilled near the visiting line and Kells' Lewis Smith was quickest to react and he nipped over to touch down and stun the Championship outfit.

Gainford stepped up and slotted over the two-pointer and the game was all level once more.

Toronto came back once more but Kells held out with some superb defence as the Wolfpack encamped on their try line.

But eventually something had to give and a cut out pass to winger Kay allowed him to dive over out wide, with Brierley again on target with the extras.

The Wolfpack seized on the upturn in their fortunes and Kay showed his speed as he picked up his heels down the wing. The Kells defence closed in but he had Nick Rawsthorne in support and the centre touched down by the posts leaving Brierley an easy two-pointer.

Toronto looked to break again with Rawsthorne again in the clear but Kells struck back with a slight ankle tap and then David Lowery was in to make sure.

Kells were fighting to get a foothold back in the game as Tyrone Dalton went on a neat run, halted just short of his target.

Then the ball came back to Tony Burns and he put in a nice little grubber kick that the Toronto defence fumbled and Kells got another chance.

But as soon as the Wolfpack were back in possession they caught Kells out on the hop with another great break out of defence that this time was finished by Kay, and converted by Brierley for 6-24.

Sam Hopkins thought he was over the line for Toronto but on his way over he knocked over the referee who then disallowed the try for a knock-on in a double blow for the sub.

And Jack Bussey also lost the ball with the try line ahead of him, thanks to some tough tackling from a Kells side who were not about to give in.

The hooter sounded with Toronto ahead 24-6 but with Kells having plenty to shout about.

Kells set off well in the second half with a great run from Paul Culnean getting the crowd going and taking his side right up to the visitors' line.

But then Toronto came away on the break again with Kay, he had plenty of support and it was full-back Quentin Laulu-Togage who eventually touched down, with the ever reliable Brierley converting.

The amateurs were not to be written off though and back they came again with a kick from Craig Benson down the touchline causing problems for QLT and he fumbled giving Kells possession 10-metres out.

They went close as they pummelled the Toronto defence, unlucky in the end not to get over the line.

As the game flew back to the opposite end of the field, Kells were showing some superb defensive on their own line.

But Toronto showed their speed of hands along the line as the ball was whipped out to Kay for him to go over for his hat-trick.

Off the kick-off Toronto slipped up again as they looked to trap the ball under a foot and it flew over the dead ball line for a drop-out and another opportunity for Kells.

The Whitehaven outfit were battling bravely and they were unlucky when a mix-up in the middle of the field led to Rawsthorne bagging his second of the night, with Brierley on target.

And they could have been back in moments later as Johnny Pownall broke away but, as on several other occasions, Toronto's final ball was lacking, this time the pass to Brierley going forward and astray.

Great scrambling defence from Kells halted Hopkins in his stride but then when the ball came out to Pownall on the edge he dived over to touch down one handed, this time Brierley could not find his range but his side were in command.

A nice chip over the top from Tyrone Dalton just didn't bounce well for his chasing attackers and then Toronto struck again.

Brierley went over under the sticks and added his own goal as the Kells outfit began to tire after a tough encounter.

But despite tiring, they were still rattling the Wolfpack who will also take plenty from this game, although they caused some damage out wide, they were not absolutely convincing in some areas.

Kells had a great opportunity to get back on the scoresheet as Troy Armstrong ran hard at the defence to get his side field position.

Culnean then showed his experience, popping a pass out of the tackle to the supporting Smith but he was stopped agonisingly short in front of a supportive Kells End audience.

It was Amstong again darting from dummy half that gave Kells another opportunity and it was Smith and Dalton who took it on.

With the try line beckoning it was the final pass back to Armstrong that the hooker just couldn't hold on to.

In a late blow Andy Ackers crashed over as the final hooter sounded but take nothing way from a great effort from Kells.

Kells: Smith, Gainford, Benson, S Lofthouse, Herve, Dalton, R Gainford, Lowery, Armstrong, Ainley, Wilson, Watson, Burns. Subs: McLaughlin, Smith, Hetherington, Culnean.

Tries: Smith 8,

Goals: Gainford 1/1

Toronto: Laulu-Togagae, Kay, Wallace, Rawsthorne, Pownall, Brierley, McCrone, Buchanan, Ackers, Sidlow, Whiting, Maitua, Bussey, Subs: Westerman, Hopkins, Emmitt, Laithwaite.

Tries: Wallace 2, Kay 16, 26, 52, Rawsthorne 23, 57, Laulu-Togagae 43, Pownall 63, Brierley 68, Acker 79.

Goals: Brierley 8/9

Referee: N Bennett.

Half time: 6-24.