Five unanswered tries either side of half time saw Whitehaven do the double over Sheffield Eagles and secure their first home victory over the Eagles since 2014 grabbing a vital two points in the Championship relegation battle. 

However that seemed nothing but a dream after the opening quarter in which the visitors crossed for three tries establishing a 14 point lead with scores from Anthony Thackeray following Lasarusa Tabu losing the ball in the first hit up of the match. 

Jack Hansen dived over from short range and Matty Dawson-Jones finishing in the corner following an exquisite pass from Quentin Laulu-Togage.

Aston could only convert Hansen's try but the die seemed to have been cast for Whitehaven who were a man down on the bench following the early loss of Lachlan Lanskey leaving the field with blood spilling from his head and failing his HIA. 

However the Cumbrians hit back with two tries of their own before the break with Josh Rourke having a hand in both.

The Haven full back looked to be close to the line for himself to score but offloaded into the awaiting hands of Curtis Teare to touchdown in the left hand side corner.

Rourke started and finished the move for the second try following a pass over the top to find Dave Eccleston who broke down the right hand side edge who then laid off a wonder pass inside as being bundled into touch seemed a certainty to Rourke who ran to the try line untouched and grounded under the sticks. Rourke converted both tries to reduce the deficit to two points. 

The opening quarter of the second half belonged to Whitehaven as they ran in three tries to establish a lead they would never lose.

Dion Aiye battled off two Eagles defenders to develop an overlap on the right hand side and got the ball away to Eccleston who crossed in the right hand side corner.

Rourke couldn't convert from the right hand side touchline but soon had an opportunity from the opposite touchline.

This was following an acrobatic finish from youngster Oscar Doran. The 18 year old playing just his ninth professional match showed superb strength to hold off Ben Jones-Bishop and score in the left hand side corner to the delight of the majority of the crowd at the LEL Arena. Rourke failed to convert once again. 

The scoring bonanza was completed in the 56th minute through Daniel Spencer-Tonks. Haven had forced a goal line drop out following a delicate kick from Jamie Doran was knocked dead by James Glover.

From the resulting set the interchange used his power to burrow over from short range and touch down. Rourke converted to establish a 12 point gap. However that gap was soon reduced around the hour mark.

Bayley Liu had scored in the reverse fixture back in June and sauntered over untouched on the right hand edge through some poor defence from a now tired looking home defence.

Aston converted and the Eagles seemed to have the momentum switch in their favour. The home side were able to hold out however and have the final word of the game. 

Haven had the ball following a knock on from Titus Gwaze and seemed to be setting their stall for a drop goal attempt.

The Eagles seemed to be expecting that too and looked to put numbers in the middle to try and pressure Jamie Doran.

Ryan King fooled everyone however and kept hold of the ball and crashed over from short range to secure the much needed victory to end Haven's run of four consecutive defeats.