HERE'S a round-up of some of the biggest court cases to have taken place in West Cumbria this week. 


Workington drug-driver who was over cocaine limit ran from police

A DRUG-DRIVER ran away from police because he knew he had cocaine in his system, a court heard.

Police were on patrol at 1.30am on April 22 when they saw a Vauxhall Mokka turn onto Dean Street in Workington.

Officers followed the vehicle and then found it parked up. The driver, Luke Penrice, 31, saw police and ran away, Workington Magistrates’ Court was told.


Shoplifter stole £182 worth of alcohol from Morrisons in Workington

A SHOPLIFTER has been fined for stealing £182 worth of alcohol from a supermarket.

Philip Storey, 39, pleaded guilty to two charges of theft from a shop when he appeared at Workington Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

Storey, of Harrington Road, Workington, stole the alcohol from Morrisons in Workington on June 10.


Seaton drug-driver was 'fixated' on police vehicle

A DRUG-DRIVER who was over the limit for cocaine and cannabis caught police attention because he was “fixated” on their vehicle.

Ryan Stubbs, 28, drove past the police vehicle on Hunters Drive in Seaton, Workington, at 2am on March 4.

Prosecutor Pamela Fee told Workington Magistrates’ Court that the defendant’s eyes were “fixated” on the officers’ vehicle, which raised suspicions.

Officers followed him and he was driving “erratically”. Police illuminated the emergency lights on their vehicle and Stubbs came to a stop.


Learner driver over cannabis limit on A595 was taking friend home

A LEARNER driver who had gone to pick up a friend in the early hours of the morning was over the cannabis limit.

Police were on duty at 3.45am on April 16 when they saw a Seat Arona drive past at the junction of Queen Street and Lowther Street in Whitehaven.

Lauren Orme, 26, who was driving the car, was seen quite far forward to the steering wheel.


Drunk man threw punch at staff member in The Entertainer, Workington

A DRUNK man who entered a toy shop and threw a punch at a member of staff after they refused to make a phone call for him has been given a suspended jail term.

The shocking incident took place at The Entertainer in Workington while young families were present during peak shopping time on a Saturday afternoon.

Members of staff had been demonstrating toys outside of the store on June 24 when they noticed Darrel Keen, 30, sat on the bench outside, Workington Magistrates’ Court heard.