FIREFIGHTERS have put out a blaze in Whitehaven.

The incident, on Bedford Street, was reported to the Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service at 5.23pm on Thursday.

A spokesman for the service said: "On May 20 two fire engines were called to reports of an incident on Bedford Street, Whitehaven.

"On arrival fire crews discovered a fire involving the chimney in a domestic property and used chimney rods, one hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera to extinguish the fire and check for fire spread.

"Crews were detained for approximately one hour and thirty minutes."

Previously, on March 21, crews were called to a home blaze at about 10am in Manor Gardens - they used a hose reel jet, carbon dioxide extinguisher, a thermal imaging camera and a ladder to put it out.