THE daughter of a man who died after a blaze in his home has shown her gratitude for the assistance given by the Great North Air Ambulance Service.

Martin McCarthy, 82, died last year following a fire at his Bridge End bungalow in Egremont.

Six fire engines attended the fire, battling the blaze for six hours.

The air ambulance joined emergency services and airlifted Mr McCarthy to hospital. He was anaesthetised by a GNAAS doctor before being flown to Royal Preston Hospital. but unfortunately he died the next day on May 9.

Mr McCarthy’s daughter, Michelle Rogers, 55, from Egremont, explained how she had rushed to her dad’s house.

She said: “I was driving to where he lived and I saw the air ambulance go over my car. He was already gone. I got down there and there were police, fire and ambulances everywhere. I just thought he had burned himself. I wasn’t prepared for the worst.”

To say thanks to the crew who rushed to Mr McCarthy's aid, Mrs Rogers decided to do a swimming challenge to raise funds for the GNAAS.

Michelle swam 130 lengths of a local swimming pool and said at the time: “I was crying in the car on the way to do the swim, but when I was in the pool I just focused on getting to the end. I just wanted to do my bit.

“I planned to swim 128 lengths but decided to do two extra lengths to make it 130 because I did it on 28 July 2019 which was my son’s 30th birthday.”

Mrs Rogers has now collected in all of her sponsor money and has raised £1,405 for the Great North Air Ambulance Service from the swim in memory of her father.

Michelle said: “I would like to thank Copeland Pool, Whitehaven and Egremont Rugby Club for their support, as well as everyone who sponsored me.”

Grahame Pickering MBE, chief executive of GNAAS, said: “Mrs Rogers has shown extraordinary strength of character at this difficult time. Her first instinct was not to think of herself, as would have been completely understandable, but instead she thought of how to help others. The money she raises will enable someone else to receive the critical care.”