The quick-thinking actions of a young boy saved the life of his 13-week old nephew while he was choking.

Alan Shrubb immediately knew what to do when little Robert was struggling to breathe, with his lips turning blue and his body going limp.

Alan’s mum Joanne Pullin, who is also Robert’s grandma, said due to the first aid training she had given her son, he jumped into action, turning the baby onto his front and slapping him on his back.

“I can’t even begin to think what could have happened,” said Joanne. “Alan is really close to Robert and they were both in his room. Robert suffers with reflux problems and we could hear Alan panicking.

“He ran to the top of the stairs with Robert and he flipped him over because he was going blue and had turned limp and gave him two strikes on the back.

“Robert coughed up phlegm. Alan’s quick-thinking and fast reaction saved his life. He would have been dead.”

Joanne took Robert off Alan to check him over, and luckily he soon bounced back to his normal self.

Due to Robert’s ongoing reflux problem – which has resulted in him being taken to hospital by ambulance as he has previously stopped breathing – the action that should be taken has been highlighted to his family.

Joanne has taught Alan, a Valley Primary School pupil, how to carry out CPR in case of an emergency.

“It all happened so fast. Alan managed to get the phlegm out and clear Robert’s airways,” added Joanne, 44, who works at Barra Jacks in Whitehaven.

The family are now highlighting the importance of young people being trained in first aid.

Joanne, who lives at Castlerigg Close in Mirehouse, said: “I think it’s really important that every child should be trained. This experience shows that children can do just as good a job as an adult. We as a family couldn’t be any prouder of Alan.”

Robert’s mum Keely Lee, 24, added: “I have never been more proud of Alan and am so grateful to him. Robert has reflux and has stopped breathing in the past due to the condition and been rushed to hospital. It’s so scary.

“I think all children from reception-age should be trained in first aid as you never know what’s round the corner.”

Keely has five other children aged between eight and two and said the oldest four would know how to act in an emergency.