Rail users have been thanked after damaged wiring on the West Coast Main Line caused disruption to rail services in Cumbria - with buses being called into shuttle passengers between Preston and Carlisle.

The overhead wires between Lancaster and Carnforth were damaged yesterday morning and caused disruption along the West Coast Mainline.

Avanti West Coast trains were not running between Lancaster and Carlisle, and TransPennine Express services were unable to run between Preston and Carlisle.

Network Rail has thanked passengers for their patience and advised to check before they travel after the emergency repairs to the overhead lines.

Teams of specialist engineers worked through the night to repair damage to the 25,000-volt cables at Hest Bank between Lancashire and Oxenholme.

The complex electrical work to the overhead lines which supply power to trains was completed by 7am today (Friday 17 January).

However, with trains and crews displaced for start of service, passengers are being advised to check before they travel as services return to normal throughout the day.

During the disruption, Network Rail worked with the train operators to keep as many passengers moving as safely as possible along the West Coast mainline.

Phil James, director for Network Rail’s north-west route, said: “I want to say sorry to passengers for the disruption and discomfort they faced making their journeys yesterday (Thursday).

“ The damaged overhead lines made travelling by train very difficult at times and we thank passengers for their patience while we worked hard to get people moving again.

“Everything was done to get things back up and running as fast as we could, with dozens of staff out fixing the damage and repairing the railway throughout the night, ready for today.

“Trains are running again this morning but please, check before you travel for the latest information.”

This was the second time this week trains had been disrupted. earlier in the week a lorry had become wedged under a bridge. Services were at a standstill as the lorry blocked Crown Street, just off Botchergate, for several hours.

Police and Network Rail were both at the scene and the bridge was assessed for any damage before the road reopened.

Passengers can check their journey with their train operator.