THE mode of dress of the people in this picture of Holy Trinity Church, Whitehaven, would seem to place it in the 1950s, but it must have been taken before then as the church was demolished in 1949.

Our thanks go to Barry Williamson of Cleator Moor who discovered the picture taken way back then by his father Eddie with a box brownie.

Eddie Williamson, of Ravenglass, died 15 years ago, aged 69, and was semi-professional photographer but Barry has few examples of his work.

The photogenic Holy Trinity Church was built in 1714 so would have just marked its 300th anniversary had it survived. Its original name was King George’s Chapel, built on land donated by the Lowthers.