Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Sunday, 05 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Rodger gets on his bike for Air Ambulance

EGREMONT Rugby Union Club celebrated their promotion from the Cumbria League with an end of season trip to in a friendly tournament in the north east.

ready to pedal: Rodger Temple leaves Egremont RUFC ground on his sponsored cycle ride

The boys from Bleach Green took on Blyth and a Northern Exiles team in a round robin, winning both their games to claim the trophy.

Joining them for the party which followed was head coach Rodger Temple – who had ignored the offer of a place on the team bus and instead cycled from St Bees to watch the rugby and raise money for the Great North Air Ambulance.

Rodger said: “I wanted to do something to raise some money for the charity because they provide such an important service.

“During one of our games this season a young lad from Wigton was injured in a scrum and I sat on the field with him waiting for the helicopter to come in the rain, and I just thought what a great job they do.

“Thankfully the player didn’t turn out to be seriously injured but with neck and spinal injuries you never know.

“Following that my boss at work died while out cycling – he had been going to accompany me on my ride through the Keswick leg – and he could perhaps have been saved if the air ambulance had been able to get to him sooner.”

Rodger, who works at Sellafield, raised over £1,000 for the charity with his cycling efforts – but didn’t quite get to Blyth in time for the rugby.

He said: “It turned out there was a big Evolution music festival on so part of my route was closed and I had to go the long way round, and ended up meeting the players just after the game had finished.

“I think they kicked off early as well – but I wasn’t too disappointed, because I’d said I would play the last 20 minutes and after cycling 135 miles over three days I’m not sure I could have.”

This has been Egremont’s most successful season for a long time, with the first team winning promotion after beating Trafford MV in a play off and then reaching the final of the Cumbria Plate. The second team also reached the final of the Cumbria Shield so all in all it has been a great year.”


RU tables

Hot jobs
Search for:
Whitehavennews Newspaper