Moresby emerge victorious
Published at 10:00, Friday, 15 February 2013
MORESBY hosted Kendal at Walkmill Park on Saturday in their first fixture in Red Bull Cumbria League 2.
The game started in good conditions but became shrouded in mist during the last quarter.
A larger than normal crowd attended to see if Moresby could maintain their 20 match unbeaten run at this higher level.
Moresby started at great pace with a series of flowing moves with backs and forwards interchanging and following a period of sustained pressure, number 8 Andrew Smith crashed over in the corner for an unconverted try. A late tackle on Mark Callan resulted in a robust Moresby response but the home side began to lose their discipline and this enabled Kendal to resist the Moresby pressure.
Moresby started the second half well and a classic backs move with Mark Bainbridge, Liam Hood and Daniel Smith ripping the visitors’ defence open to allow Luke Richardson to score under the posts. Bainbridge converted.
The visitors were awarded a large number of penalties which put considerable pressure on the Moresby line; resolute defence and effective counter rucking enabled Moresby to prevent the visitors from scoring.
Kendal elected to kick a penalty to bring the score to 12-3.
In the latter part of the game a strong tackle by Declan McKenna resulted in a loose ball kicked through by Liam Hood and enabling Daniel Smith to win the race and score in the corner.
Final score: 17-3.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- All’s ship-shape at Cap’n Senny’s
- Top comic’s surprise Rosehill date (9 comments)
- Churches likely to close due to costs
- Man killed in A595 crash named
- Double closure brings traffic chaos (8 comments)
- Hairdresser Liz bids fond farewell after 50 years
- Cash secured to shore up storm-battered harbour (3 comments)
- Cash blow for West Cumbria tourism (5 comments)
- Shock twist in Millom double murder hearing
- Town saved from £4m flood damage (1 comment)