Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 04 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Flying start – but it comes to nothing

ST Benedict’s virtually made sure of their North Lancs Cumbria place for next season when they beat neighbours Egremont 37-13.

All that came after Egremont had made a flying start, racing into a 13-0 lead inside the first 15 minutes.

Jack Kelly landed a penalty and then Xander Bainbridge raced in for a smart try which Kelly converted. When Kelly increased the lead with his second penalty it looked encouraging for the visitors.

But Benny’s responded superbly. They were level by half-time and then three quick tries at the start of the second-half put them firmly in the driving seat.

They were on the score-sheet after 25 minutes when Stephen Routledge cleverly put Kyle Hiddleston into space and he dashed away from halfway to score an unconverted try.

From the restart the home side counter-attacked to great effect as Routledge was again the supplier and this time it was Daniel Appleton who finished off with the touchdown.

Kurt Maudling, who had earlier missed two penalties, put one on target just before the break to put the teams level at the break.

Egremont, who had been very much in the contest, were undone at the start of the second-half as Benny’s scored three tries to put themselves virtually out of sight.

A smart blindside move, with Routledge involved again as provider, saw Kristian Wood power through two tackles to score in the corner. He landed a fine touchline conversion himself.

Again from, the re-start Benny’s found the Egremont defence wanting as Jamie Jardine and Kristian Wood made inroads.

The move ended with a brilliant kick from Wood back into the middle which Hiddleston gathered to go in under the posts. Wood converted.

The third early try finished the game. Brothers Gavin and Kurt Maudling linked well before a popped pass allowed Hiddleston to go over for his hat-trick try. Wood converted and them added a penalty.

Egremont, who had seen the game taken from them by a powerful St Benedict’s performance, finished strongly and Steve Heywood almost got in for a try but was bundled into touch.

In fact Egremont won’t have long to wait for revenge as the two teams meet again on Saturday, but this time at Bleach Green.


RU tables

Hot jobs
Search for:
Whitehavennews Newspaper