Pigeon fanciers boost surgery fund for Leon
Last updated at 12:14, Thursday, 12 April 2012
CUMBRIAN pigeon fanciers have given a major boost to a three-year-old boy needing £40,000 for a major operation in America.
Sunday’s charity auction at the Falcon Cub, Egremont raised £9,500 for the family of Leon Harrison who has spastic diplegia cerebral palsy.
Organiser Danny Rodgers of the Cleator Moor club said: “It’s been a wonederful effort by a lot of people to raise this kind of money from the sale of pigeons, special donations and a raffle on the day.
“A lot of hard work by a number of people has made this sale possible and we are all delighted that it raised so much money.”
There were 103 birds up for auction and the top price of £850 was paid by a Doncaster fancier for a youngster from the top Lanarkshire loft of G. W. and P. Macaloney.
Fanciers from the West Cumberland, Derwent Valley, East Cumberland and Furness Federations donated young birds for the auction, as well as top lofts from around the UK.
The 2012 racing season starts on Saturday with both the Derwent Valley and West Cumberland Federations racing from Leyland.
First published at 12:00, Thursday, 12 April 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Copeland: ‘We’re working with (and listening to) businesses’
- American circus is coming to town
- McOuat - Walker
- Helen launches Lowes exhibit
- Can Gailer down the Dons?
- Peter set to rock West End stage
- Moresby WI
- Florence’s 100 reasons to be happy
- St Benedict's School A level Artwork Display
- Crowds flock to see star-studded show
- St Bees pupils face 'a year of disruption' (5 comments)
- Backlash fear as Labour rejects power-sharing offer (22 comments)
- New A595 crossings may be on the cards (5 comments)
- Roadworks on A595 near Sellafield to start next week (1 comment)
- 'The find of a lifetime' - Viking hoard unearthed (1 comment)
- Free parking plea to help Egremont businesses (2 comments)
- Experts trace Chris’s family roots to the White House
- Cumbria’s NHS is failing cancer patients (1 comment)
- Bar owners are defiant after being told to ditch the tiles
- What's On Guide: May 28 to June 3