Gazza shows dropped as star’s health declines
Published at 16:12, Thursday, 07 February 2013
THREE planned shows in Whitehaven starring troubled former England legend Paul Gascoigne have been cancelled.
Tickets for an Evening With Gazza at Whitehaven Golf Club on April 13 were snapped up so quickly that two further dates were added, and they were also selling well.
But the former midfield maestro, who has been plagued by alcohol problems, jetted to the United States this week for emergency rehab, and organisers have now pulled the plug.
“He was very popular, but I wouldn’t have liked to see him in that state,” said organiser Peter Boyle. “I would like to remember him as a top sportsman.”
Gazza had been expected to entertain the Whitehaven crowd with tales from his illustrious career.
But his agent Terry Baker told this week how the ex-Spurs, Newcastle United and Lazio star needed immediate help after video emerged of a rambling 10-minute appearance at a charity bash.
The 45-year-old was seen sobbing, slurring and swearing during an interview with Baker before 500 guests in Northampton.
Tickets for the Whitehaven event cost £50 each, or £60 for a photo with Gazza, and refunds are now available, though an alternative sporting attraction is in the pipeline.
“We hope to announce new people in the near future, hopefully on the same date,” Boyle added.
For refunds phone Peter Boyle on 07759 495761.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Gig off as licence refused (7 comments)
- Vicious assault in Whitehaven
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (26 comments)
- Council staff on move from Copeland Centre (2 comments)
- Cumbrian jailed for nine years for sex attack on man
- Todd makes West End debut!
- Friends inspired to run by Luke’s love of life
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (46 comments)
- Hensingham traders tell of parking review fears
- Forty years of St Benedict’s School (10 comments)