Bagley’s ‘best bout yet’
Published at 11:43, Thursday, 28 February 2013
CLEATOR Moor boxer Cameron Bagley turned disappointment into triumph – by taking on and beating a last-minute replacement opponent.
Bagley had been let down by Barrow’s Levi McMeaking who challenged for his belt but pulled out only two days before the fight.
Bagley had trained for the southpaw challenger and was looking forward to the contest, but accepted a bout with Shaun Banks, from Dunston ABC, Gateshead, at a moment’s notice.
In the first round of the fight which took place on Friday at The Shepherds Inn, Carlisle, Bagley opened his account with solid left/right combinations against the tall and rangy Banks, who tried to box at long range.
Bagley kept a tight guard, kept going forward and landed the cleaner shots to win the round.
In the second, Bagley found his range, upped his work rate with Banks using grab and jab tactics.
Bagley stuck to his boxing, kept his composure and won the round.
In the third, both fighters kept the same tactics, with Bagley looking stronger in the exchanges.
Banks made the round competitive but Bagley won unanimously against a very awkward and capable opponent.
Club coach Dick Newton praised Bagley for taking the bout at short notice and the way he coped with Banks after training for a southpaw.
Newton said that Bagley showed his class, power and ring presence in what was one of his best performances.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Smashed against Blackpool rock – and now let the inquest begin
- Failed to comply
- Synthetic cannabis warning after teenagers taken to hospital
- Kalvin swaps karts for notebook and pen
- Charities join to lunch the lonely
- They died for us, don’t forget them
- Concern over number dying after receiving specialist health care
- Watchdog’s new West Cumberland Hospital bombshell (7 comments)
- Wyndham’s final send-off
- Cadets get their chance to fly
- Civic to re-open and new toilets? (8 comments)
- Rejected - plans for 79 Cleator homes denied (4 comments)
- Hotel charges Whitehaven couple £100 for bad review (2 comments)
- Man killed in A595 crash named
- Driver’s anger over police decision not to prosecute
- ‘You can’t imagine how good it felt’
- Ex-school demolished (9 comments)
- GPs ‘deeply concerned’ by hospital
- Third drink-driving conviction for Cleator Moor motorist
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (85 comments)