Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Monsters made to work hard for win

MARYPORT Monsters under-12s were clear favourites for this league fixture. They are currently joint top of the division and previously beat Celtic B 8-0 in the cup.

Within the opening minutes a defensive mix-up gifted Monsters a free kick on the edge of the Celtic box. A wall was built but a perfect lob over it found Malik Steel. Unmarked and unchallenged the big central defender netted a good header. This could have been the start of a rout but Celtic B are a team on the up and were not about to roll over.

Defending for all they were worth Celtic were able to mount a few attacks of their own and stung the Monsters with a great Josh Wise run and strike only to have the goal disallowed for off side.

At just 1-0 down at half time, Celtic B were giving the league leaders a run for their money. It was Celtic who scored next, again from a corner. Rhys Robinson took the corner which Monsters failed to clear.

When the ball fell to Bradley Walters in the box, he got it under control, then hit a cracker to lift the Monsters net.

At 1-1 Monsters started throwing players forward as did Celtic, both teams chasing the win. Monsters had a number of good strikes saved by the Celtic keeper Will Fox who is developing into a good shot stopper. He could do nothing though, with the Monsters’ winning goal in the last minute of the game.

From a throw-in in the Celtic half, Monsters managed to get a number of players behind the Celtic defence. A nice strike by Michael Winthrop beat the Celtic keeper to secure the points for the Monsters who looked mighty relieved.

Will Fox picked up the MOM for Celtic. Malik Steel was both solid in defence and a hand full in attack picked up the MOM for Monsters.

U12s: St Bees 0, CM Celtic 1

THIS was a very evenly contested cup-tie quarter final, the teams going in at half time 0-0.

St Bees had by far the greatest number of corners this half and probably had the better chances to score but the Celtic line held out.

The second half was only a few minutes old when a Jack Blackwell through ball gave Matthew Pierce a run on goal. With defenders on his case Pierce managed to get a shot off that beat the St Bees keeper to give Celtic a 1-0 lead.

The remainder of the second half was much the same as the first half. Both teams unable to dominate or take the few chances that were on offer. Celtic held on to their lead to win 1-0 and progress to the semi final of the league cup.

Celtic have played much better this season but perhaps this battling performance by St Bees had something to do with their performance in this match. Karl Garner kept another clean sheet for Celtic making saves at the feet of the St Bees forwards time after time.

Celtic’s MoM was Mathew Pierce, St Bees’ MoM was Ethan Green.


Hot jobs
Search for:
Whitehavennews Newspaper