Whitehaven storm to 88th minute win
Published at 11:11, Thursday, 16 February 2012
AFTER last Saturday’s postponement at Chester-le-Street, Whitehaven returned to action on Saturday when they entertained Thornaby in Northern League Division Two.
A below par performance by Whitehaven left it late to take all three points by winning by two goals to one. Haven were giving too much ball away and were putting pressure on themselves by letting Thornaby run at them in a very scrappy game played on a heavy pitch. Chances were few and far between. A Craig Robson shot 25 yards out which came back off the post was the only real note for Haven after seven minutes.
Thornaby weren’t much better but did make Stuart Pettit make two good saves to keep the visitors out. With half time approaching it looked as though it was going to level, until a shot from 20 yards out from the visitors flew past the Haven keeper, giving him no chance to give the visitors the lead.
The second half was much like the first and it was the Haven keeper who was kept busy. With time running out defeat looked on the cards for Haven, until the 88th minute, a move involving Johnny Donnatt, Scott Redhead and Leigh Dunn saw Dunn beat the keeper from 12 yards out.
Encouraged by manager Martin Harris to go and win the game, Haven did, with two minutes into stoppage time. Another move down the right, involving Redhead, Dunn and David Dustin saw Dustin’s pass split the visitors’ defence, for Dunn to score again from 12 yards, in a carbon copy finish, to his first goal and giving Haven victory.
Martin Harris said after the game, “I’m proud of the character and durability my players have shown today, and pleased with how we dragged a victory from the jaws of defeat.”
Haven’s next game is away at Ryton on Saturday, 3pm kick-off.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Public speaker Jess, 15, wows judges
- Officers set their sights on reckless fly-tippers (8 comments)
- Man tried to escape police
- Sellafield profits up – and so are directors’ pay packages (18 comments)
- What a difference 50 years can make
- What a Nisa new look!
- Mourner’s fight for last words
- Biggest Liar 2014
- Attack was ‘sustained’ and in front of children
- Dedicated teacher is nominated for award
- Civic to re-open and new toilets? (9 comments)
- Rejected - plans for 79 Cleator homes denied (6 comments)
- Hotel charges Whitehaven couple £100 for bad review (2 comments)
- ‘You can’t imagine how good it felt’
- Man killed in A595 crash named
- Fight goes on despite office block refusal
- GPs ‘deeply concerned’ by hospital
- Let’s cut to the chase: Whitehaven is dying and action must be taken
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (88 comments)
- MP criticises selection of staff chosen for review team (1 comment)