Solitary Williams strike seals deal for Star
Last updated at 11:01, Thursday, 24 September 2009
A SOLITARY David Williams goal gave Frizington White Star their second win of the season, in only their third game in this season’s Tesco Cumberland County League.
They bagged the winning points to move up the premier league table after beating Whitehaven AFC 1-0.
There was a full league programme apart from one game, Mirehouse v Netherhall being called off as Mirehouse had six players in the county squad and as a result they were the biggest movers in the premier league, dropping two places.
Wigton Harriers moved up one place after a big victory over Whitehaven Miners but the score does not reflect the game.
Wigton were leading 3 - 2 with 10 minutes left but a late collapse by the young Miners side left the score looking rather different at 5-2. There were consolations from Liam Holiday and Martin Thomerson for Miners.
Longtown remain top despite a 4-2 reversal at Bransty Rangers who moved up to third. Chris Armstrong, with two, Mark Callum and Ryan Cornish from the penalty spot all netted for Bransty.
Cockermouth and Aspatria could not be separated after 90 minutes as it finished 3-3.
Tesco division one has a new leader as FC 32 went to the top after a 7-2 victory over Hearts.
The top two at the start of play on Saturday were overtaken by FC 32 as they could not be separated as it ended all square Carlisle AFC 1, South Workington 1.
Silloth moved up two places as they won at Windscale 2-1, Gary Hodgson scoring for the home side
St Bees put 10 on Parton United Reserves but secretary Herbert Briggs confesses he accidentally deleted the phone message off his machine so there are no scorers. Parton United also went down at home to Carlisle City 5-0.
Fixtures for Saturday, September 26
Tesco Premier League
Wigton Harriers v Whitehaven AFC
Tesco Division One
Parton United v Wigton Athletic
Silloth v St Bees
South Workington v Parton United Res
Windscale v Carlisle City
J Edgar & Son Conway Cup
Aspatria v Netherhall
Carlisle AFC v FC 32
Whitehaven Miners v Cleator Moor Celtic
First published at 15:49, Wednesday, 23 September 2009
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- 1961: Pig-skin shoes and winkle-pickers all the rage
- Ben’s heroic scooter trek
- Lisa Michelle Donaldson and Phillip David Chandler
- Only way is up for young filmmaker Russell
- Fellrunner Joss inspires new piece of music
- Family notices, deaths
- Local pigeon fanciers among Britain’s best
- Union: ‘hospital bosses miserly’ (1 comment)
- Two arrested in assault probe
- Laura Dewhurst and Christopher Donnell
- Cumbrian man due in court on 11 rape charges
- Joanna back home after collision horror
- Happy ending for grandad’s fairytale (4 comments)
- More hospital services ‘at risk’ (5 comments)
- Cumbria police appeal after man dragged from taxi
- Charity party goes ahead despite police concerns
- Viking Way route unveiled (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian pair jailed for burgling house
- Dinner lady Katie served them well
- New mining project engages community (2 comments)