Soccer star Danny earns international honours
Published at 11:11, Thursday, 09 August 2012
A YOUNG football star has returned from a successful international tour of Malta.
Danny Hodgson, 16, of Bigrigg, is on the books of Carlisle United, and was called up to represent Great Britain Under- 17s Catholic Schools football team in the FISEC Games on the Mediterranean island.
A total of 10 countries competed in the Games, including Brazil, Italy, Portugal and France, as well as the hosts, with teams competing in sweltering temperatures.
Following victories in all three of their group games, Danny’s GB team made it through to the final to play against France’s U17 national team.
Danny opened the scoring with a well-executed penalty, sending the France international goalkeeper the wrong way. France equalised with a penalty of their own just before half-time then took the lead midway through the second half team.
GB pressed for an equaliser and, after hitting the crossbar on two occasions, levelled in the dying seconds of the game.
A nerve-wracking penalty shoot-out followed. Danny converted his spot-kick but France won the shoot-out 5- 4.
Danny finished joint top GB goalscorer and was presented with a silver medal for his efforts.
“I had a fantastic time and met some really good friends who play for a number of Premiership football teams,” said Danny.
“I would like to thank all those who sponsored me and all those who made donations towards the trip.”
Danny extended special thanks to the St Benedict’s School head of PE, Miss Powe, who put him forward for the trial and for all for the support she has given him throughout his school years.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- New warning over your bins (8 comments)
- 230 new jobs at Sellafield (12 comments)
- Young people 'priced out' of Copeland housing (7 comments)
- Extra crowd control for McFly gig
- Sellafield fined £700,000 for dumping radioactive waste
- Women Out West Festival
- Controversial turbine will go ahead (3 comments)
- Cold blooded killer who holed up in Lake District before killing cops told he will die in prison (9 comments)
- Pregnant smokers on increase in Cumbria (8 comments)
- ‘Don’t weight for me’ says Denise!