Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 02 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Celtic return to their winning ways

AFTER the disappointment of Saturday, the lads quickly wanted to get back to winning ways and certainly started the better of the two teams on Wednesday night against Darlington Cleveland Bridge.

For 15 to 20 minutes Celtic dominated and put the Darlington back four under a lot of pressure. Some good play across the field meant Celtic were able to get plenty of crosses into the Darlington penalty area, no real clear cut chances came though until a Rhys Little corner found its way to Craig Corkhill who drove home through a crowded penalty area. 0-1 Celtic.

The impressive start didn’t continue though and Darlington proved this wasn’t going to be the easy victory that Celtic had enjoyed at home against them.

Darlington overloaded the midfield and found plenty of time on the ball and created some good chances themselves going forward. Celtic failed to keep the ball in good areas and were causing numerous problems for themselves.

Fortunately for the hoops Darlington were not clinical in front of goal and held on to the 0-1 lead going into half time.

Some harsh words during the break and Celtic knew they had to improve or risk another defeat.

However, Darlington had better ideas and 10 minutes into the second half Gavin Wilson equalised for the home side with a brilliantly hit 20 yarder which dipped over Devine in the Celtic goal.

This shook the Hoops into action and to a man everybody worked their socks off to get back into the game.

It wasn’t long before Leigh Dunn found the net in a crowded Darlington area.

Celtic continued to push and created numerous chances, a few corners could have been converted but Bradley Rooney decided he didn’t need anyone else and curled in Celtics third straight from a corner, 1-3 to the hoops and the lads were buzzing.

Man of the Match Matt Henney rolled back the years with some excellent wide play and it was his final pass which resulted in Leigh Dunn converting his second and Celtic’s fourth, a brilliant finish to a very determined performance.

Kirbymoorside 0, Cleator Moor Celtic 1

HAVING moved into the top six for the first time thus season Celtic travelled to North Yorkshire looking to climb even further up the table.

Manager Matt Henney made a few changes to keep things fresh. Redhead and Holliday came into the starting 11 with Mahone and Henney himself sitting this one on the bench. Telford and Charlton joined them two on the bench.

Celtic knew this would not be an easy game and early on it was Kirbymoorside who pressed. Matthew Bower made a bad tackle on Kevin Holiday as early as the second minute but ref Scott Wilson failed to act upon it and that sort of set the tone for what happened later on in the game.

Brown saw his effort go wide and minutes later he headed wide. Celtic’s Ryan Hall played a superb ball into Leigh Dunn but Celtic’s top marksman slipped and failed to trouble the keeper.

Sarjo Chan picked up the ball in loads of space and ran at the Celtic back four. Divine pulled off a superb double save from the Kirbymoorside midfielder. Celtic’s Kevin Holiday hit a cracker from way out which Tansey tipped onto the bar, and as the rebound came down to Dunn the flag went up for offside as everyone thought it was the opening goal.

Holiday played in Dunn and his shot went past the keeper only for Holmes to clear off the line. Celtic were pushing and it looked like it was coming.

Bradley Rooney was in and should have passed but he took the wrong choice and blasted over the bar. Holiday once more hit one from distance and as before Tansy tipped this one over and from the resulting corner Rhys Little hit the ball right in from the corner. Tansy did get a hand to it but failed to keep it out and Little took the plaudits.

Holiday was denied by the keeper again and some good football between Padley, Dunn, Jordon Little and Rooney saw the ball finding its way to Ryhs Little but the keeper saved what would have been a good team goal.

Brown had the final shot as he did the first and it was the same result as he shot wide. Celtic turned round one up but manager Matt Henney had to be concerned at the way the home side were running through the Celtic team.

Celtic tightened up and both sides seemed to cancel each other out in a quite second half. Rivie had his shot saved by Divine and Bower saw the ref’s yellow card as did the keeper.

Silbeck saw Divine save his shot as the home side pushed for the equaliser Dunn and Telford saw his shot saved by the keeper and with five minutes left a bad tackle by Bower and a punch thrown after the tackle sparked handbags – an incident which could have been avoided if the ref had acted in the first two minutes.

Bower was shown the red card and Celtic Charlton was shown a yellow card in a rather eventful end to a decent game which saw Celtic move into the top five.

Celtic hope to Host Willington on Wednesday night in what is a warm up to the Cup Final between the two at the end of March and Wednesday could see Dan Gullen play his first home game in 18 months. The midfielder did play at Stockton and turned out for the reserves on Saturday, Celtic are away to Easington Colliery on Saturday.


League tables

Hot jobs
Search for:
Whitehavennews Newspaper