Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 28 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Egremont Rangers end Leeds' 100 per cent record

EGREMONT Rangers’ first opponents in the new NCL challenge cup competition were from East Leeds and arrived with a 100 per cent win record in the NCL 2nd division.

Unluckily for them they could only muster 13 willing players to travel and left West Cumbria disappointed, but proud of the lads who put their bodies on the line for 80 minutes.

Egremont quickly got into their stride with a Leon Crellin try and John Paul Brocklebank kick on three minutes. This was to set the tone of the first half with Calum Huck and Rhys Davies adding to the score within 10 minutes, JP completing the conversions. With the try of the day coming for Rhys with a excellent solo effort flicking the ball backwards from a Leed kick, then picking up and ball and racing 75 metres to score. The 13 Leeds players were next to score on 18 minutes when the Egremont defence decided to have a five minute break.

Egremont quickly got back into their rhythm with an excellent five minute spell of attacking football with MoM Clayton Sutton carving open the Leeds defence with try on 23 minutes and a excellent off load to put captain JP in on 25 minutes.

Daniel Telford’s try rounded off the five minute blitz with the trusty foot of JP keeping his 100 per cent kicking record to make the score line 36-6. Leeds kept at it and on 31 minutes winger Rob Brown broke the Egremont defence for a second time pushing their score line to 10 points much to the annoyance of head coach John Brocklebank who was doing cart wheels on the side line.

Again the Egremont attack showed some style with Rhys and Calum combining to get their second tries of the day, John Paul calmly pushed the score out of sight maintaining his 100 per cent record. The half time score line 48-10.

Leeds refreshed by the break were first to score with Ryan Gaunt grabbing a try and kick on 41 minutes. The Egremont attack soon took advantage of the weary Leeds defence with Clayton getting his second and Rhys his hat trick, two more kicks from JP making the score 60-16.

Such are the standards set by the Egremont coaching team that when Leeds broke the defence for a third time you could see Brocky making a mental note for next week’s training plan.

Edgemont’s final two tries came from Kevin ‘Kacker’ Brown and Calum Huck, with ‘Kacker’ picking up yet another opportunist try and Calum getting his first hat trick in Egremont 1st team colours. John Paul rounded off an excellent day’s kicking with a personnel point’s tally of 28 points. Leeds again breached the Egremont defence on 78 minutes to end the day’s proceeding on a high, final score 72-26.

Many thanks must go to our match sponsor Gillian and John Hewitson in memory of their son Michael for picking the following for their outstanding performances during the game:

MoM: Clayton Sutton

Top tackle: Tom Whalley

Champagne Moment: Rhys Davies

Next week will see Egremont travel to Oldham St Anne’s.

A big thanks to Cumbria Sports Academy and staff.


Hot jobs
Search for:
Whitehavennews Newspaper