Skipper Dave Hewson set for Workington Reds return
Last updated at 12:52, Tuesday, 13 December 2011
Workington Reds captain David Hewson could be in line for a return to the first team squad in time for Saturday’s trip to Eastwood.
Workington, who sit just one place and one point above the relegation zone, travel to fellow strugglers Eastwood with up to four players missing, but Hewson could be back.
Boss Darren Edmondson is hoping to bring in some new names, but said he’s be delighted to have his skipper back in contention.
He added: “The weekend might come too soon for David but we’re giving him every opportunity to be fit.
“If David can make the bench then that would be great.
“He’s a great player to have around the dressing room and we’re a poorer team without him.”
Young Adam Main has deputised in Hewson’s absence, and done well, according to the boss.
He said: “I can’t fault the effort Adam has put in while David and other have been missing.
“He’s helped steady the ship, and done exceptionally well.
“Adam is a player with a lot of potential and over the last few weeks he’s shown what he’s capable of when he’s given time to play a string of games.”
Workington will definitely be without star striker Jonny Wright, who is suffering an ankle injury, while Mark Boyd will hope to return to the starting XI after being on the bench for the few couple of matches.
First published at 11:27, Tuesday, 13 December 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Gig off as licence refused (7 comments)
- Vicious assault in Whitehaven
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (26 comments)
- Council staff on move from Copeland Centre (2 comments)
- Cumbrian jailed for nine years for sex attack on man
- Todd makes West End debut!
- Friends inspired to run by Luke’s love of life
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (46 comments)
- Hensingham traders tell of parking review fears
- Forty years of St Benedict’s School (10 comments)