Woman airlifted to hospital after A595 crash
Last updated at 09:26, Sunday, 29 April 2012
A woman motorist has been flown to hospital in Newcastle after a two-car accident on the A595 near Parton.
The accident happened at 3.15pm on Saturday.
The section of road involved - known as the Parton Mile Road - was closed as fire crews from Workington and Whitehaven worked alongside other emergency workers.
The firefighters, who called in the air ambulance, had to use heavy cutting equipment to free the injured woman from her vehicle.
She was treated at the scene by paramedics and later flown by air ambulance to hospital in Newcastle.
No details have yet been released about her injuries.
Two other women had managed to get out of the car before the emergency services arrived.
Fire service station manager Andrew Ingrams said: "There were three female casualties and two of them had managed to get out of the car before we arrived but one was trapped in her vehicle. Paramedics were there as well as ourselves and the police.
"It was quite a difficult extrication. We were working alongside the paramedics.
"The woman who was trapped was the driver of one of the cars."
A spokesman for Cumbria police confirmed that the injured woman was flown to hospital in Newcastle.
He added: "We would like to appeal for witnesses to get in touch."
Anyone with information should call police on 101.
First published at 09:25, Sunday, 29 April 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Cumbria’s NHS is failing cancer patients (1 comment)
- Free parking plea to help Egremont businesses
- Experts trace Chris’s family roots to the White House
- St Bees pupils face 'a year of disruption' (4 comments)
- Come and support Sarah’s fundraiser
- 'The find of a lifetime' - Viking hoard unearthed (1 comment)
- Seascale mum’s charity jump after friend’s cancer diagnosis (2 comments)
- Backlash fear as Labour rejects power-sharing offer (13 comments)
- ‘Whitehaven is a special place’ - wine guru Oz Clarke
- Nicky Clarke: From Hollywood to our harbourside
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (130 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)