TV star is all smiles in the saddle
Published at 11:10, Thursday, 26 April 2012
CELEBRITY horse enthusiast Martin Clunes has praised a Millom equine attraction after a recent visit.
Martin, who stars as Doctor Martin Ellingham in the ITV drama Doc Martin, spent a few days at Cumbrian Heavy Horses, in the Whicham Valley, near Millom.
Last week’s visit was part of a surprise arranged by the star’s wife, Philippa, to celebrate his 50th birthday.
Martin, president of the British Horse Society, was full of praise for the attraction, which offers horse adventures on Clydesdale and Shire horses.
He said: “I bought a couple of baby Clydesdales about 18 months ago and since then people have bombarded me with Annie’s (Annie Rose, owner) flyer, which has a picture of someone galloping along a beach on a Clydesdale.
“For ages I’ve been brandishing it to my wife saying it was my future and lo and behold she booked a week up there as part of my 50th birthday present. It was absolutely fantastic.”
Martin and wife Philippa spent three days enjoying various adventures, including a trip up White Comb and a gallop along Silecroft beach.
He said: “The first day the weather wasn’t great, but it is quite an adjustment from riding a Clydesdale to riding anything else so were concentrating on that. We went right up a fell the next day and the last day we spent galloping along the beach, which was just fantastic.”
Owner Annie Rose said: “He is a very genuine man with a passion for these horses. I rode with them for three-days and we just chatted and laughed. He’s got a real empathy for the horses and he’s just generally a nice chap.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Cumbria’s NHS is failing cancer patients
- Free parking plea to help Egremont businesses
- Experts trace Chris’s family roots to the White House
- St Bees pupils face 'a year of disruption' (4 comments)
- Come and support Sarah’s fundraiser
- 'The find of a lifetime' - Viking hoard unearthed (1 comment)
- Seascale mum’s charity jump after friend’s cancer diagnosis (2 comments)
- Backlash fear as Labour rejects power-sharing offer (13 comments)
- ‘Whitehaven is a special place’ - wine guru Oz Clarke
- Nicky Clarke: From Hollywood to our harbourside
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (125 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (32 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)