Tim Knowles quits county Cabinet after repository vote
Last updated at 13:28, Thursday, 07 February 2013
A SENIOR member of Cumbria County Council has resigned from a top role following the decision not to search for locations for a nuclear repository.
Councillor Tim Knowles, who represents Cleator Moor North, has stepped down from his position as a member of the council's cabinet following the decision on January 30.
Reacting to the news Copeland MP Jamie Reed said: "I am sad to see the cabinet of Cumbria County Council lose its only member with an understanding and experience of policy making in the nuclear industry, but it was impossible for Tim to remain part of a cabinet that votes against its own nuclear policies and which then expects to be taken seriously by the people of West Cumbria, the nuclear industry or national government.
“Cumbria County Council’s policies are not credible, they are not coherent and they risk causing profound damage to West Cumbria.
“Tim has represented our area with distinction for many years and as Copeland and Allerdale Borough Councils, the trade unions, industry and others move forward with a process to progress the issue of radioactive waste disposal with government, he will play a pivotal role in this.”
It is understood Cllr Knowles will continue to serve as a councillor.
More to follow
First published at 13:26, Thursday, 07 February 2013
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cumbria’s NHS is failing cancer patients (1 comment)
- Free parking plea to help Egremont businesses
- Experts trace Chris’s family roots to the White House
- St Bees pupils face 'a year of disruption' (4 comments)
- Come and support Sarah’s fundraiser
- 'The find of a lifetime' - Viking hoard unearthed (1 comment)
- Seascale mum’s charity jump after friend’s cancer diagnosis (3 comments)
- Backlash fear as Labour rejects power-sharing offer (19 comments)
- ‘Whitehaven is a special place’ - wine guru Oz Clarke
- Nicky Clarke: From Hollywood to our harbourside
- Young Cumbrian finance director named best in Britain
- Story firms forge fundraising links with Cumbrian hospices
- Votes plea from West Cumbrian businesswoman
- £180,000 makeover for Carlisle city centre pub
- Lloyd Volvo gets go-ahead for bigger showroom in Carlisle
- Investigation into Flimby fire complete
- Major £20m deal in the pipeline for Tata in Workington
- Profits rise sharply at Cumbrian company Stobart
- Cumbria jobless total hits 32-year low
- Story Homes wants mortgage lending boost
- Two die in crash on busy Cumbrian road
- South Cumbria girl gets first in line for thrills on dream holiday of a lifetime
- WITH VIDEOS: Crowds lap up Barrow music festival fun in the sun
- Man's body found on Barrow beach - next of kin of missing Manchester man informed
- Mum and children attacked in Carlisle park
- See the action on TV
- £1.7m price tag on Cumbrian politician's former home
- Talented Barrow athlete in running to train with Olympic star
- Fire in Cumbrian home
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue