Teacher with a class of 6,000!
Last updated at 12:20, Thursday, 24 July 2014
A MILLOM teacher who has taught more than 6,000 pupils is retiring after 39 years.
Val Towndrow has taught at Millom School since 1975.
She said: “Lots of kids say to me, ‘Miss, you taught my mum’. I thought I’ve got to get out before they start saying I’ve taught their gran.”
Mrs Towndrow had never been to Millom when she accepted the job, despite growing up in Coniston.
However, she fell in love with the place and its people and chose to raise her family there.
“Millom is a wonderful place; an absolutely amazing place to live and bring up children,” said Mrs Towndrow, who also worked with her husband who became head of art at Millom School.
Being promoted to head of year was the happiest time of her career and her abiding memories are of the Lipsynch performances which were the talk of the town in the noughties.
She said: “We did a lot of shows but a particular one we did, my husband and I performed as Tina Turner and Rod Stewart and the kids couldn’t work out who it was. Once they did the place was in uproar.”
The 61-year-old has a grandchild due in Australia so she is hoping to visit her son once the baby arrives. She also has three grandchildren in Newcastle.
In time she would also like to concentrate on her own artwork.
She said: “Working with kids you end up giving away all your ideas. You drain your creativity to inspire them. I will have some down time and I might go back into sculpture.”
First published at 12:13, Thursday, 24 July 2014
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Breaking news: Whitehaven Civic Hall to reopen (1 comment)
- Your election candidates revealed (3 comments)
- Hustings debates the issues that matter to you
- Travellers illegally occupying five sites in Cumbria (21 comments)
- Don't vote for me: Smear campaign forces Lee to quit (15 comments)
- Campaigners threaten to take legal action over school closure (2 comments)
- Fabulously flouncy - Laurence on heading to Whitehaven (1 comment)
- Vandals target Mirehouse eyesore’s artwork (1 comment)
- Cancer sufferer to cycle 140 miles for charity
- Travellers park illegally (21 comments)