Sellafield in talks over 800 job cuts
Last updated at 23:36, Saturday, 15 May 2010
SELLAFIELD is looking to axe 800 jobs but it is hoped no-one will be forced to leave. Formal redundancy consultations started yesterday afternoon.
Exclusive By Alan Irving
Briefings were given to the nuclear’s site’s 12,000 workforce but no numbers have been given.
Union officials had been told privately some weeks ago that up to 1,200 jobs were at risk. This was described by site management as speculation.
The Whitehaven News understands that Sellafield Ltd is looking to shed 800 jobs among both permanent company staff and agency workers. The hope is that enough people will come forward to take voluntary redundancy.
After talks yesterday morning, management and unions issued a statement.
It reads: “Sellafield Ltd and the site’s union’s can confirm that a formal consultation process has begun regarding potential impact on jobs arising from the continued drive for greater degrees of efficient working across our sites in a funding-constrained environment.
“The objective of the consultation process will be to minimise any job losses.
“The company and unions intend to work together in partnership to deliver the optimum solution for our employees and members and to retain and develop the key nuclear skills that will be required for the future.
“Our shared intention would be that any resulting redundancies would be on a voluntary basis.
“While the process of consultation involves a detailed analysis of all options to minimise potential job surpluses including all forms of external expenditure, it is not possible at this stage to give any accurate estimate of what the impact to jobs may be.
“We will provide regular updates to our employees and members as the process develops.”
Sellafield’s GMB convenor Peter Kane said he was unaware at this stage of exactly how many jobs might have to go.
“We will be looking to minimise any reductions in the workforce.
“If jobs have to go then it will be a question of how many, which areas and what grades, but as things stand we don’t know.
“We want to avoid redundancies but if it is inevitable then we will have to look at ways and means of minimising job losses.
“There may be a block on all recruitment; it may be that people who leave or retire won’t be replaced, or that there will be volunteers, but as yet no redundancy packages have been agreed.
“We will be having a series of meetings with management to look at everything and this will include where the funding for the site’s operations need to be for the best.
“Until we explore all the issues we don’t really know.”
But Mr Kane added: “Any jobs going from here will be jobs lost to the community. That is a concern in itself.”
Union officials were shocked to first learn of job losses.
GMB full-time regional organiser Steve Gibbons said at the time: “My understanding is that there have been issues surrounding the site and there are potential job losses due to a shortfall in funding. I don’t believe there is a shortfall. Sellafield has just had its best settlement (£1.5 billion) from the NDA. The losses or fears the management are talking about they should be able to manage it.
“I hope my members see it for what it is – an aggressive company human resources stance. The trades unions won’t stand by and quietly see any redundancies.”
First published at 16:15, Wednesday, 12 May 2010
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
If you want a good story... the American's Visa's ran out last year. lol, they are working here illegally!
this is just the start ! the americans are just testing the water,the unions need to do something now ! REMEMBER ALBRIGHT&WILSONS.
View all 49 comments on this article