Sellafield fire crew to the rescue
Last updated at 12:29, Thursday, 17 April 2014
SELLAFIELD Ltd’s Fire and Rescue team has donated life-saving equipment to firefighters in Macedonia.
By Mark White
Six redundant fire-fighting helmets worth £1,500 each will be sent to the East European country via Operation Florian, a charity set up by British firefighters to send fire- fighting kit and training to developing world communities across the globe.
Geoff Lee, Sellafield Ltd’s emergency management planning officer, said: “These are Sonic helmets – really solid, good quality fire- fighting helmets with communication devices built in.
“The countries we help are not as fortunate as us and do not have the standard of equipment that we do, they are using very basic kit to fight potentially very dangerous fires.”
Chief fire officer Andy McDonnell added: “It is with great delight that Sellafield Ltd and Sellafield Fire & Rescue Service are able to offer much-needed support with the donation of this equipment.”
At the handover, Steve Darby, Operation Florian co-director and volunteer, said: “The support from Sellafield Ltd is really appreciated; the company has supported us for a number of years, continually sending us redundant fire-fighting equipment that is vital for third-world countries.
“Sometimes we have to buy equipment but to do that we have to fundraise, so obviously each donation that comes in allows us to save that time which we can use to go out and get the donations ready for deployment.”
There will be 29 new firefighters recruited this year along with the appointment of the new deputy chief fire officer. The 30 new faces bring the total number of emergency responders (fire, ambulance and conventional fire safety) covering Sellafield’s six square kilometre site to 91.
First published at 12:20, Thursday, 17 April 2014
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Boy, 8, in roof fall drama
- Councillor’s dream is to give skatepark a new lift
- Stretching out the hand of friendship to Lebanese
- Say farewell to the YMCA
- Parents fined as pupils take unauthorised leave (6 comments)
- New N-waste plan ‘lacking in detail’ (1 comment)
- St Bees, Gosforth, Moor Row... the best of British! (1 comment)
- Rogues’ gallery for shopkeepers
- Beacon has a hand in puppet success
- Inquest hears of father’s troubled life
- Vickerstown FC pay tribute to 'Fozzy' and 'Jonno' (1 comment)
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (16 comments)
- Independent chairwoman to oversee improvements at Barrow hospital trust
- UPDATE: Warning to Cumbria motorists travelling south - tailbacks on M6 (2 comments)
- Slices of Barrow social history go under hammer at auction (2 comments)