Pub and landlady fined for selling drink to 16-year-olds
Published at 11:10, Thursday, 22 March 2012
A WHITEHAVEN town centre pub and its landlady have been fined for selling alcohol to a minor following an undercover sting operation by Trading Standards..
The Tavern, on Tangier Street, was twice caught selling alcopops to two 16-year-old volunteers who were planted in the pub by Trading Standards officials.
At West Cumbria Courthouse this week, the pub’s owner – Seascale-based firm Phoenixwell Ltd – admitted two counts of selling alcohol to a minor and was fined £670 plus £1,000 court costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
In addition, licensee Susan Brown, who admitted two counts of her pub selling alcohol to an underage person without having asked for ID, was fined £100. She must also pay £100 costs and a £15 surcharge.
The court heard that the offences took place in September last year.
Angela Jones, Cumbria County Council’s Trading Standards manager, said: “This is an ideal opportunity to remind traders of the law relating to the selling alcohol to young people and to remind them that Trading Standards will continue to carry out operations to prevent the sale of alcohol to young persons.
“Alcohol consumption poses a very serious risk to the health of young people and it also has a detrimental effect through the anti-social behaviour that results from this.
“We work in partnership with the police and licensing teams to protect the health and well being of young people in Cumbria.
“Traders are well aware that if they are caught selling alcohol to persons under the age of 18 they could face prosecution, a fine of up to £5,000 and could lose their licence.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Breaking news: Whitehaven Civic Hall to reopen (1 comment)
- Your election candidates revealed (3 comments)
- Hustings debates the issues that matter to you
- Travellers illegally occupying five sites in Cumbria (21 comments)
- Don't vote for me: Smear campaign forces Lee to quit (15 comments)
- Campaigners threaten to take legal action over school closure (2 comments)
- Fabulously flouncy - Laurence on heading to Whitehaven (1 comment)
- Vandals target Mirehouse eyesore’s artwork (1 comment)
- Cancer sufferer to cycle 140 miles for charity
- Travellers park illegally (21 comments)
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (204 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (61 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)