Police to probe pet cat ‘lamping’ death
Last updated at 12:13, Thursday, 13 February 2014
A FAMILY cat has been mauled to death by a dog in what is believed to be a ‘lamping’ attack.
By Lucy Grosvenor
Gary Dawson’s beloved cat, Tiger, went missing from her Burnmoor Avenue home in Mirehouse on Saturday, February 1.
She was found dead four days later by the Mirehouse cycle track, with bites along her stomach. It has been confirmed by the police that she was attacked by at least one dog, but it could have been more.
The RSPCA is investigating and believes Tiger’s death was a result of lamping – a practice that involves people going out with dogs and torches to shine the light into the eyes of small animals. When the animals are momentarily stunned, the dogs attack.
Gary’s daughter, Rosie, spoke to The Whitehaven News.
She said: “Tiger was an outdoorsy cat so when she didn’t come back straight away we weren’t too worried.
“After the weekend, we started to ask around, we heard that a number of other cats in the area had gone missing and been found dead.”
The family were then informed that Tiger had been found dead.
Rosie said: “This a sickening thing to have happened, I can’t imagine what torture she must have gone through.
“She was bought for my dad who lives on his own, she was part of the family.”
Anyone with information should contact PC Reece Watt on 101.
First published at 10:55, Thursday, 13 February 2014
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Breaking news: Whitehaven Civic Hall to reopen (1 comment)
- Your election candidates revealed (3 comments)
- Hustings debates the issues that matter to you
- Travellers illegally occupying five sites in Cumbria (21 comments)
- Don't vote for me: Smear campaign forces Lee to quit (15 comments)
- Campaigners threaten to take legal action over school closure (2 comments)
- Fabulously flouncy - Laurence on heading to Whitehaven (1 comment)
- Vandals target Mirehouse eyesore’s artwork (1 comment)
- Cancer sufferer to cycle 140 miles for charity
- Travellers park illegally (21 comments)
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (204 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (61 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)