Last updated at 12:18, Thursday, 26 April 2012
Drugs seized in police raids
CANNABIS with a street value of more than £4,000 was seized from a property in Haverigg.
Officers raided three addresses in Palmers Lane and Fairfield Road, in Millom, and Bank Head, in Haverigg, on Wednesday morning last week.
Approximately three quarters of a kilogramme of cannabis was seized at the Bank Head property. Police said the amount of the drug had a street value in excess of £4,000.
Three local men, aged 21, 22 and 40, and a 45-year-old woman from Milnthorpe were arrested in connection with the raids.
ARSONISTS have been blamed for a fire in the old British Telecom building in Preston Street, Whitehaven.
Firefighters had to wear dust masks and decontaminate their equipment afterwards because the derelict two-storey building contained toxic asbestos.
No nearby homes were evacuated. Firefighters were called at 4.45pm on Sunday and were at the scene for more than hour.
They say damage was limited and the police are investigating.
A CAR was damaged after would-be thieves tried to break into it.
The SEAT Ibiza was targeted while parked at Keekle Terrace, Cleator Moor, between 6pm on April 20 and 8am the following morning.
Failed to stop
POLICE officers are investigating a fail-to-stop car crash at Bransty, Whitehaven.
A Vauxhall Astra had its bumper damaged while parked on Earls Road between 7pm on April 19 and 9am the following day. The offending motorist failed to stop.
CAR batteries have been stolen from a compound at Frizington tip. The theft from the Yeathouse Road site happened overnight on April 18/19.
A BB gun is thought to have been used to damage the windscreen of a car in Millom.
A Volkswagen Passat was hit while parked at Queens Park on April 19. Pellets and a target were found at the scene.
First published at 11:10, Thursday, 26 April 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Breaking news: Whitehaven Civic Hall to reopen
- Your election candidates revealed (3 comments)
- Hustings debates the issues that matter to you
- Travellers illegally occupying five sites in Cumbria (18 comments)
- Don't vote for me: Smear campaign forces Lee to quit (13 comments)
- Campaigners threaten to take legal action over school closure (1 comment)
- Fabulously flouncy - Laurence on heading to Whitehaven (1 comment)
- Vandals target Mirehouse eyesore’s artwork
- Cancer sufferer to cycle 140 miles for charity
- Travellers park illegally (18 comments)
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (202 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss attacks 'weak' players who don't deserve to be professionals (83 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Row over Tory MP hopeful's election banner in Carlisle (56 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (39 comments)