Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

News round-up

Lonely man called police

A WHITEHAVEN man put a hoax call into the police because he “wanted company”.

Robert John Howlett, 25, of Loweswater Avenue, who has had a problem with alcohol for a number of years, made the call to police regarding an alleged smashed window on March 21 after drinking a bottle of vodka and some cans.

When police arrived at the scene, Howlett was drunk and holding his mobile phone.

The officers asked Howlett if he had made the call, which he confirmed, and told them: “I just wanted company”.

When they tried to arrest him, he resisted in what was described as a brief struggle and no injuries were caused. Howlett said he had no recollection of making the call and the arrest.

Howlett pleaded guilty to making a hoax call and resisting arrest. He was given 120 hours’ unpaid work which he must complete within the next 12 months.

Drink-driver is banned

A MOTORIST has been banned from the road after he was caught drink-driving.

Alexander McLean, 55, of Rutland Avenue, Whitehaven, admitted the offence having provided a sample of 103mgms of alcohol in 100mls of blood; the limit is 80.

He was banned for 13 months and must pay a £100 fine plus £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

Teenagers stole dummy phones

TWO teenagers stole dummy mobile phones from a supermarket.

The 15- and 16-year-olds stole 10 dummy phones from a display stand at Tesco in Whitehaven.

They were arrested soon afterwards when officers stopped and searched them at 1.40am on Friday on George Street.

The youths admitted the theft and were dealt with by restorative justice.

Man treated after assault

A MAN needed hospital treatment for a head injury after being assaulted.

The 35-year-old was attacked at St Benedict’s Rugby Club at Newlands Avenue, Whitehaven, at 11.50pm on Saturday.

A 21-year-old man from the Whitehaven area was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and bailed until May 1.

Asbo breached

A WHITEHAVEN man breached his Asbo by being caught in the town’s Castle Park.

Paul King, 22, of Pow Avenue, admitted the breach and had a suspended prison sentence, imposed in April 2011, extended for a further six months.

He must also complete 40 hours of unpaid work in the community and pay £85 costs.

Disorderly fine

MATTHEW Gerrie, 21, of North Road, Egremont, has pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour.

He must pay a £125 fine plus £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.


Hot jobs
Search for:
Whitehavennews Newspaper