Name and shame list for town’s eyesores
Last updated at 12:21, Thursday, 08 March 2012
A NAME and shame Facebook group has been set up to identify eyesore buildings in Whitehaven.
In just one week, over 380 people have joined the group to share their views about dilapidated buildings that need improved in the town and how this can be done.
It was set up by Mark Shackley, who has also created several Facebook groups in the past couple of weeks about the history of Whitehaven’s and people’s memories.
Mr Shackley said: “Name it & Shame it in Whitehaven was set up by popular demand. People were commenting on the other sites I had set up about the eyesores in Whitehaven. Some people have been posting photographs of places around the town that need developing.”
Photographs of the former bus station, along with the YMCA building on Irish Street and the former Methodist church, on Lowther Street, have all been raised as concerns.
And while The Whitehaven News office on Queen Street has not yet been nominated, editor Colin Edgar states the building is due to get a new lick of paint soon!
Mr Shackley said that users of the Facebook group hope that their comments will get the message across that Whitehaven needs improving. There have also been talks about setting up a petition, although at the moment, nothing definite has been planned.
Mr Shackley says the next step is to create an independent website which will incorporate all of the information from across the groups on the social networking site. This will make it easier for people to access photographs, documents and written memories of the town. This may take around a month to complete.
First published at 11:06, Thursday, 08 March 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
Naming & shaming in Whitehaven has many easy targets, sad to say, with Bus Station & empty plot opposite top of my (long) list. What is more worrying is that this may just cause more things to be demolished, closed or removed, with NOTHING being put in it's place that will improve Whitehaven for it's residents and visitors.
1) the old border construction offices on coach road. You know, where once upon a time asda was supposed to be built.
2) the bus station. In all honesty it's not 'an architectural gem'. It's a pigeon poo filled grot spot.
3) the ugly, impractical, oversized multi story car park. Who actually parks in there?
4) The park, former nightclub. Could have been open all these years, not sat there teasing us about the night life Whitehaven USED to have.
5) the badly planned,traffic congested and totally out of character mash up that is the whole morisons/McDonald's/sports centre area. Yeah, get your car in there, spend longer than you've spent looking in the shops, trying to get out.
6) that empty, good for nowt, bit of land opposite the Bransty arch.
7) we all know the Albion square thing will be on here in a few years time, sat empty.
8) the old abandoned church next to the newly abandoned civic hall.
9) those all singing, all dancing, council offices are ugly.
10) Hensingham square is looking a tad abandoned. Where's everyone gone? Not into town to do their shopping that's for sure.
View all 18 comments on this article