Man did not pay taxi fare
Published at 15:48, Wednesday, 15 December 2010
FAILING to pay a taxi fare and being aggressive towards police has landed a Cleator Moor man with a £150 fine.
Richard Carr, 24, of Montreal Avenue, admitted making off without payment and obstructing a police officer in her duty, causing officers to use a taser gun and parva spray on him.
He has been ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
The court heard that Carr had got into a taxi, belonging to John McAllister, at the Wetherspoons pub in Whitehaven. After stopping at a take-away on the way, the taxi driver took him to Woodhouse Road, where the fare would have been £5. But Carr got out the car, did not pay and went into a house further up the street.
When police arrived at the house, PC Nicholson said she tried to reason with Carr, but he grabbed her and tried to push her backwards. Officers had to use a taser and parva spray to stop the defendant.
David Martin, for Carr, said: “My client had been assaulted by someone in the pub earlier that night. He decided to leave. He got into the taxi and at the time he believed he had money to pay for the journey. When he got to his destination he realised he didn’t have the money.
“He had a choice to make: he went into the house. He accepts that he was aggressive towards the police.
“He really does want to apologise to the taxi driver and the police officers for his behaviour.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Increase in council tax and parking fees loom
- Copeland Council owe £15 million for £5 million loan (6 comments)
- Booming Ennerdale Brewery expands (2 comments)
- High-flying Vicky raises £10,000 (3 comments)
- Whitehaven mayor will be poorest paid in UK (11 comments)
- Kai showcases talent at Billy Elliot audition (1 comment)
- Much-anticipated maternity services report delayed
- Partially-sighted man denies sex assaults
- ‘We’re still standing for mayor despite pay row’
- Sellafield clean-up bill soars to ‘astonishing’ £53 billion
- Aldi plans to expand Carlisle store
- Stobart: Carlisle Airport redevelopment finished by September
- Cumbrian chef launches food and cookery channel
- Barrow lettings firm aims to spread the word
- Africa expansion drives up Barrow shipping firm’s profits
- Sixth formers all fired up for dream places at work
- Gearing up for a Barrow showcase of next generation of jobs
- Software company’s digital marketplace role
- Small firms answer call to provide apprenticeships (1 comment)
- Best of British take centre stage at prestige sale of blue cattle
- Missing Cumbrian man found safe and well
- Missing man found safe and well
- Barrow GP super surgery move is closer than ever
- Mentally-ill Cumbrian man took his own life, inquest jury rules
- Cumbrian man, 50, charged with murdering his wife
- Cumbrian boy beats the odds again as he takes first steps
- Cyclists set to be allowed back into parts of Carlisle city centre (2 comments)
- 30 jobs as discount chain gets set to open new store
- Maryport man charged with murder of his wife
- Blow for Furness Line - but rail campaigners hope for improvement plan promotion